iPhone 3GS Firmware 3.1.3/Baseband 05.12.01 What to do???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NSK123, Oct 8, 2010.

1. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Hi

I bought an iPhone 3GS off of eBay a couple of weeks ago, the guy i bought it off told me it was carrier unlocked. The problem is that I can see it's been jailbroken since there's Winterboard and Cydia on the springboard.

The iPhone is currently on Firmware 3.1.3 with Baseband 05.12.01. The guy named his iPhone "unlocked master" so I'm not sure if it's officially carrier unlocked or if it's been unlocked with an unauthorized method.

I'm currently in the U.S so i'm not sure if my UK simcard from Three MobileUK is suppose to work over here or not. Currently it's not working in my iPhone.

I would like to unlock the phone and upgrade it to 4.0 somehow but how do I do this while retraining and without messing up the baseband if it's not carrier unlocked? I haven't been in the jailbreak scene since last year so there's happened alot since then.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm on Windows 7, Thank you guys.

Many regards

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Go into Cydia > Manage > Package, look for Ultrasnow.

If it's there, it's not carrier unlock. And, since your sim doesn't work, it's also proof your phone is probably not a carrier unlock either.

If Ultrasnow is not there, you can try installing it. If phone works, there's your answer.

As for updating the firmware, 3GS has to worry about SHSH security check. On Cydia's main screen, at the top, what does it say "This device has SHSH..." What firmware number is there means you can restore to it.

3. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

Hi

There's Ultrasnow installed on it, but it still says "No Service".. Does ultrasnow work on 05.12.01?

As for SHSH it says SHSH: iOS4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 in green fontsize 8 or something.

Is there any way to upgrade to 4.0 while retaining the baseband? if not does ultrasnow support the baseband version that comes with 4.0?

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Ultrasnow works with 4.0.1 firmware > 5.13 baseband. Are you sure iPhones work on your service provider?

Upgrade options:

A) Find out if you have old or new bootrom. If old, install Spirit2pwn through Cydia. Now, phone is pwned = accepts custom firmware. Next, create (pwnagetool) or find (google) a custom firmware (one that keeps baseband) and restore with it through iTunes. If you have new bootrom, move to next option.

B) Download and run Tinyumbrella:
    1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
    2) check "Advanced Options."
    3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select the firmware version you want to restore to.
    4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
    5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
    6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and the firmware you can restore with. If it's not there, you can't restore to it.
    7) Start "TSS server," download official firmware file somewhere (google) and restore through iTunes with that file.
    8) If you phone gets stuck during the restore process, try "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.
    9) Using safari on the phone, go to jailbreakme.com to JB. Afterward, through Cydia, install Ultrasnow to unlock.