iPhone 3GS- further iOS than 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPod Subsystem, Oct 28, 2012.

1. iPod Subsystem macrumors newbie

How much more updates of iOS will the 3GS be able to handle?
    Thanks,
    iPod Subsystem

2. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Erm, how about ZERO?? The 3GS has already received 4 major updates since it debuted in 2009, from iPhone OS 3 to iOS 6 this year, which is already pretty amazing considering most Android phones don't even get updates after 1 year or so. It already has a lot of features on iOS 6, and it's hardware is already showing signs of age, so it's impossible, yes IMPOSSIBLE, that Apple would update it to iOS 7.

Cheers!

3. iPod Subsystem thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

At this point, there's no real need to even put iOS 6 on an iPhone 4, let alone a 3GS. You're not really missing anything.

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

yeah im surprised the 3gs still lasted on only 256mb ram. The original iPhone got killed after like 2 updates lol and the iPhone 3G just got quit on on iOS 4

6. frayne182 macrumors 6502

I just updated my sisters 3GS to iOS6. She was still on iOS4.

She only complained after Facebook stopped working saying she needed to be running a later OS. :p

Now she has iMessage, Passbook, Facebook integration, Twitter etc.

Its still a decent upgrade for 3gs. She said it feels like she has a brand new phone.

7. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

you can still buy them new in the UK, so i think that they may get ios7, but only just..

8. phillypharm macrumors regular

i'd be surprised if they upgraded it anymore. consider the OG ipad didn't even get ios 6 and it essentially has the same hardware as the iphone 4. it seems like once apple stops selling, they stop supporting.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Only Apple can say.

It was out of ordinary and unexpected for it to get third major update, iOS6.

Apple doesn't want to support forever. It may get more, but don't hold your breath.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You can't?

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Not with the iPhone.

The iPhone 3G got updates for a year (or close enough) after it was discontinued.

I expect that will continue with the 3GS and beyond.

----------

Some of the networks still have stock left.

You can also get the iPhone 4 and 4S in the storage capacities that have been discontinued.

12. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

dude you live in the same place as me haha. You walking down Reading Highstreet and ask in phone shops for a 3GS, they will be more than happy to sell you one on an overpriced contract, or for 300quid ish unlocked ha

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Fair enough, Phones4U on Broad Street would be more than happy to rip people off like that I suppose :p

Apple don't sell them though.

14. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Are you kidding? I doubt they're even worth 250 DOLLARS here.

But no. Maybe minor updates, eg 6.1, 6.2, whatever but no way will it get iOS 7. 7 will probably already be pretty trimmed down on the 4, come to think of it, and I'm iffy whether the iPod touch 4 or iPad 2 will get it. Probably more likely since they're still selling them brand new.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No way.
    It's not getting iOS 7.0
    I'll be surprised if it gets 6.1.

16. kevinbomb123 macrumors member

Pretty much wrong on all counts,you assume a ios upgrade uses much much more power from the devices hardware,while it does its no where near what you assume,apple will simply most likely not support the 3gs anymore to try to make you upgrade.:D

17. irDigital0l Guest

Its not so much that it can't but its just going to suck so bad that there's no point.

If you want iOS 7...just go out and get an upgrade.

18. b0bab0i macrumors regular

iPhone 3GS shouldn't have even gotten iOS5 IMO, my 3GS couldn't run more than 3 apps before bogging down massively on iOS5.

19. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

as an FYI my 3GS gets used everyday as my main phone running io6, and it runs great.

20. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

This. Same for me, & it still works perfectly as well. No need for any upgrade anytime soon.