iPhone 3GS - Is it worth it in today's market?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Whaletrain, May 28, 2012.

1. Whaletrain macrumors newbie

Hi guys, so back in January I sold my iPhone 4 to cover for an iPad 2 and bought myself a Samsung Galaxy S2 on contract. It was partially down to the fact I though I would go for an Android device to see what all the fuss was about with the "Open-ness" and also to try something new (As they say, "Don't knock it until you have tried it"). I have now found that I do kinda' dislike Android completely and any Samsung Android device (Mainly the UI). This has now reached it's limit and I would like to switch back to an iPhone.

I was thinking because of lack of money etc. and wanting one, just to cover my contract period, ASAP to get an iPhone 3GS. I know it's one of the phones to compete in the lower end market of android phones and with reviews it still is a great mobile BUT is it worth me spending the small fortune of money to buy one at this moment to tie me over as I am hating my S2? I don't usually use my phone to game so that wouldn't be a problem as I use my iPad. One thing I would be needing though is the tethering capability. Was this included in the 3GS?

Never again will I go back to Android and I have now learned my lesson :D

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks,
    Whale

2. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

I for one, would rather have an iPhone 1st gen than any Samsung phone. And yes, tethering is possible on the 3GS.

3. Whaletrain thread starter macrumors newbie

I totally agree with you pal. ANY Samsung phone is just a cheap rip-off of an iPhone and IMO Android is too, as I have now learned. Would you recommend the 3GS as a cheap, tie-over phone?

4. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

While the 3GS is getting a little long in the tooth, it's still better than any samesung (yes with an e), they're cheap cr@p that break at the first sign of the floor, seriously I don't know one person with a samsung that doesn't loathe it's reliability and very limited battery life.

5. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

It's a bit far to call any Samsung phone a "cheap rip-off", but I do want my iPod and my phone to be in one device. I would certainly recommend the 3GS as a tie-over phone, but only if you're not crazy about retina display. ;)

6. Whaletrain thread starter macrumors newbie

I found loads of problems with my S2 on Gingerbread. There was horrible battery life and they had reduced the amount of power that goes to the WI-FI Antenna. Since ICS that did change but I still hate the device completely. The UI is ugly, I found problems with the device. I will, regrettably, keep it as a backup phone but I will be happy once I get a 3GS.

I had the 4 and I was amazed by the Retina display but I think I could live without it. I will probably upgrade to the 4 once my contract renews as it still is a good phone. If I do get enough money and can find one below £200 I will happily buy an iPhone 4. I will be lucky if I could get an iPhone 3GS with an old bootrom :D

7. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I use a 3GS that I retasked primarily as an iPod. It's only active on wifi and it sits in the dock 99% of the time. The only downfall that I notice is that is slower when loading apps and we pages, etc... Obviously due to ram and processor speed. But it isn't unbearable. Just noticeable when you are used to the 4S.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Rather than just as a carry-over, why not sell your SG2 and pick (back) up an iPhone 4? Should be close to the same price and it wouldnt be a step down from what you're used to.

9. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I take it you never use the camera? Otherwise that's going to be one huge downgrade.

I can definitely understand preferring the 4/4S to the S2, but 3GS is a pretty big stretch for the sake of iOS. Nicer software can only make up so much when there's that big a hardware difference. But that's JMO.

10. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

I have a 3GS, and it does everything I want it to. I still have a year on my contract (yes I get the 3gs when the 4 was about), and when my contract expires I will be moving onto a new iphone (and depending on funds at that time it might be a iphone 5).

My 3GS will go to my darling wife (who had my 3G when I upgraded), and it will live for another two years in her hands.

Her 3G, if the battery keeps up, it will go to one of our daughters (if they wish to swap it for a blackberry) :eek:

so long may the 3gs live, and the ios upgrade for it.

11. Whaletrain thread starter macrumors newbie

I was considering that but was scared with still having so long on my contract. I mean the 3GS should last me I guess until the contract date.

I rarely use the camera apart from YouTube videos. I was pleased with the Galaxy S2's 1080p but everything else lets the phone down.

In all I think now that everybody here has cleared it up that it is worth me buying one I shall get on the eBay bandwaggon and search away.

@rcltr What is the speed like of iOS 5 to you? Is/was it sluggish at all?

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Instead of spending no money and upgrading to a competent phone, you'd rather put the SG2 (that you don't care for) in a drawer, spend a few hundred on a 3 year old phone, and use an iPhone 3GS for another year and a half?

The 3GS can run iOS 5, but how will it run iOS6 or the bulk of apps as they're made for retina displays?

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Oh another Samsung bashing thread.

To answer your question if you really care. I have seen many 3Gs going for less than $100 on Craigslist in the Boston area they don't last long but they are out there.
    You can tether on a iPhone 3 that is jail broken.

14. Whaletrain thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a horrible phone and just a cheap version of the iPhone. I would rather have a 3yr old phone than the S2 as I have grown a sudden dislike to it. The UI, Android everything apart from the Camera. No wonder they are in court all the time over patents and crap as they cannot think of their own designs (Example, go look at the Galaxy Tab USB charge and sync cable)

It wasn't that it was just what happens if they ask for the phone back or anything else then I'm screwed. I've got money saved up anyway so it's just a matter of spending it for the purpose intended - iPhone 3GS.