iPhone 3GS Jailbroken with blackra1n stuck in recovery mode. Need to access files!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Akio562, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Akio562 macrumors newbie

This morning my iPhone wasn't detecting any wifi networks (even though it normally detected a few in this area). I know the wifi was working because my laptop was connected to it. I couldn't figure out the problem so I decided to reset network settings. When I did this my iPhone went into recovery mode, so as usual I connected it to my computer and ran blackra1n again.

Only this time, the picture of geohot stayed on the screen for a lot longer than usual (quite a while 2mins or more) then it flashed white, went black, showed the apple logo and went back into recovery mode (with the image of iTunes and the USB cable). I tried blackra1n a few times with no success.

Normally this would be fine because I'd be able to just restore and recover using a backup, only I haven't been able to sync/backup recently (reformatted laptop and overseas on holiday).

I really want to be able to save the photos/videos I've taken while on holiday. Is there anyway to access the files in the iPhone while in recovery mode? Or even better, create a backup?

Please help I've tried everything!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Do you have OpenSSH installed ?

If so, it might be possible to get in via CyberDuck and retrieve those photos/videos

Hint: Always sync/back up before screwing around with the phone (especially if you have vacation photos on the phone)

3. Akio562 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I really should have backed up. I did have OpenSSH installed, what can I do now?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Use CyberDuck (Mac) or WinSCP (PC) and try to retreive you files.

Depending on the state of your phone's drive, slight possibility it may work but these require WiFi working

There is also DiskAid which uses USB cable, it might work. I think there is a trial version of this.

5. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Turn phone off and back on.. By holding the top and bottom button for 10 secs. Run blackra1n again. That will make it boot up normally

6. Akio562 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it's in restore mode so no WiFi. DiskAid and any other programs don't recognise the iPhone, only shows up as 'iPhone in restore mode' in iTunes. Nevermind restoring now, don't seem to have any choice

7. iphone.Trouble macrumors newbie

hi Akio562,

I have exactly the same problem, but I am afraid, if I restore using iTunes it will brick my phone. Please let me know how to restore it.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You cannot brick an iphone. That is an outdated term that applied to early 2G phones.

To restore you phone, you have to use iTunes, that is how it is done.

What makes you think iTunes will not restore your phone ?

If it's a 3G you can restore to any version firmware.
    If it's a 3GS, you can only restore to 3.1.3 (unless currently jailbroken or hashes have been saved)

9. iphone.Trouble macrumors newbie

Thanks dhlizard,

I have 3Gs with 3.1.2 jailbroken and unlocked with blackra1n. If I restore to 3.1.3 then I wont be able to use it as no jailbreak is available for 3.1.3

please help me.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

No.

Edit: What this reply meant is that there is nothing which can be done right now. You will have to wait for a new tool to be released.

11. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Made me laugh :D

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I didn't mean this to be that I would not help him, just that he has no options.

Glad it gave you a giggle.:p

13. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I laughed and thought how rude!! But knowing you to be one of the most helpful on this forum I knew better.

Cheers

14. iphone.Trouble macrumors newbie

Well, I got a kinda solution, but the point is that it worked for me. I connected my iPhone with windows (iTunes 9.0) and 'make it ra1n'. And let it go in reboot loop all day. At the end it finally worked.

But now I have a grayed-out wifi link in setting and I can't turn wifi on. Please spare your thoughts.
    I have 3Gs 3.1.2 jailbreak blackra1n.

My original problem:
    YouTube and Gmail on Mail were not working on my iPhone so I reset network setting. When I did this my iPhone went into recovery mode, so as usual I connected it to my computer and ran blackra1n again.

Only this time, the picture of geohot stayed on the screen for a lot longer than usual (quite a while 2mins or more) then it flashed white, went black, showed the apple logo and went back into recovery mode (with the image of iTunes and the USB cable). I tried blackra1n a few times with no success.

Also it kept rebooting while charging.

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The Spirit jailbreak should be released in a few days. You can then upgrade to 3.1.3 and get a good stable untethered jailbreak (with no wifi or other issues)

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

To anyone else with this issue, you can use a USB browser program like PhoneView to access your phone's filesystem. No Wifi necessary.