iPhone 3Gs midnight swim, phone no longer gets wi-fi nor plays on a BOSE Dock? IDEAS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gavinauzzie, Jan 14, 2010.

1. gavinauzzie macrumors member

gavinauzzie

New years eve camping i had a memory blank from about midnight to about 4am. The next morning i was told i went for a midnight swim with a bunch of mates. i couldn't find my iPhone and totally had no recollection of this swim.

My friend happened to have his laptop with 3G card thing and i managed to log into my .me account and track my phone down the beach. long story short i found it full of sand and a little damp still in my pocket neatly folded in a pile down the beach.

The phone to my surprise was still working fine, but the audio from the iPod wasn't, nor were games. now i tested the ring tones they were working fine.
    I got into town and we had to pump the tires up so i used the air gun at the servo to blow out most of the sand in the docking part of the phone.

This worked and the sound came back on from the games and the iPod.

now since being home the wi-fi has decided to show up grayed out and saying no wi-fi available also my BOSE dock which i normally plug into to listen to podcast, music etc, that too is not working no more.. on the phone it reading: this device is not made for the iphone blah blah blah..

any tips please would be greatly appreciated.

It is still under warranty should i just send it back to apple>?

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Honestly in that condition any number of things could be wrong. The internals could be rusting up due to water, especially if it was salt water. Sand being involved isn't a good sign either.

The other thing is: Apple isn't going to warranty it if the water sensors went off, which if it was on the beach and damp could very likely be the case.

3. gavinauzzie thread starter macrumors member

gavinauzzie

iPhones have water sensors in them.. Great!

the bottom dock part does look corroded.

Thanks for the advice mate.!!

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

my Advice

for $199 USD Apple will replace it even though I am sure every water sensor in it is blown. All most cells water sensors all most all electronics void warrenty due water damage. next time you go to the beach leave your iphone at home. ;) normally you could have soaked it in a bowl full of rice but this has to be done right away, Also last I checked salt is corrosive. :rolleyes:

ps check this thread for more info on water damage and sensors.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=464858

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Four hour blackout, huh? Sounds like a fun night.

Have you checked the water sensors? Maybe you got lucky.

There's one at the bottom of the headphone jack and one inside the dock connector underneath the plate lookin' thing (if you're holding the phone screen up). You'll probably need a flashlight if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

6. gavinauzzie thread starter macrumors member

gavinauzzie

Update

Phone is working fine now- Sound came back after blowing all the sand out of the connection port WIFI stuffed up for a while but came back. The only problem i'm still experiencing is it doesn't play on my BOSE dock? any ideas? i'm in the apple store now bout to see if its still covered under warranty.. :cool:

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Definatelly will not be covered under warranty if they check the sensors.....

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's the first thing they do. Always.

9. gavinauzzie thread starter macrumors member

gavinauzzie

**update

i've put up with it now for a while!

I have booked in to see a Apple genius this weekend down Syndey.

I was in there last week and the rep/tech tried to squeeze me in to see a tech but they were full.

Hopefully they can't fix it and i get a brand new iPhone 3GS then in a months time or when ever it comes out in Australia i'll be able to upgrade to the 4G.

Thanks for the comments.