iPhone 3gs on an added line (sorry if this has already been answered!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sportsfanMAW, Jun 20, 2009.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

OK So I did search and I'm not quite sure what the overall answer is so I'm asking to make sure.

I have a 3g right now that I plan on selling. My parents were looking at adding a line for my brother so he can have a phone. If i have him buy a 3gs and then i put my current sim in it and activate it on itunes and give him an old phone will everything work fine?

Thanks!

2. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Ok to add to my original question, how exactly would it work? Would I bring the old phone into ATT and have them make a number for my brother and activate a sim in that phone, and still buy a 3GS, then when I get home swap the sim from my 3G to the 3GS?

3. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Yes, your situation is easy since you will both end up with the iPhone data plan. You do know that both phones will have an individual $30 data plan, right? So you will both have a $39.99 per month cost for your add-a-lines on the FamilyTalk rate plan.

Just have your account owner (your parents) add a line for you brother with the iPhone 3G S and once that is completed all you have to do is take your SIM and put it into the iPhone 3G S and have your bother put his new SIM into your current iPhone 3G and you are all set.

If you don't want to wait for a phone to be available from AT&T, you can always purchase the new iPhone from any retail supplier: Apple, BestBuy, Walmart. You can even order it as an single line from Apple or AT&T and then merge the line into your current FamilyTalk plan.

As soon as you get it, just call Customer Care and have the new line merged into your current rate plan. You should also consider if you want one of your iPhone lines to be the "Primary" line. Depending on your FamilyTalk plan it may benefit you next summer when the next "must have" iPhone arrives.

Dave