Iphone 3GS or Iphone 5 - Here's the question.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Hypothetical question, if you presented with only two options:

1) iPhone 3GS running upcoming iOS 6 and no further updates.
2) Upcoming iPhone 5 running iOS 4 and no further updates.

Which would you take if you had to keep the phone for the next 4years?

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Since they are bot not released I'd have to see the specs to see which offers more and more usable real world usage.

But taking a guess, i'd probably go IP5 since the 3gs has such a poor camera and screen and possibly wouldn't run ios6 fluently

Will never happen. And the iPhone 3GS might not even get iOS 6.
what part of hypothetical didn't you understand :rolleyes:

He's basically asking do you prefer the latest software or the latest hardware?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Since they are bot not released I'd have to see the specs to see which offers more and more usable real world usage.

But taking a guess, i'd probably go IP5 since the 3gs has such a poor camera and screen and possibly wouldn't run ios6 fluently

what part of hypothetical didn't you understand :rolleyes:

He's basically asking do you prefer the latest software or the latest hardware?
I prefer a combination. So the choice is a 3GS with the latest software, or an iPhone 6 with the latest hardware and iOS 4.0?

I'd settle with a 4S with iOS 5.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
I prefer a combination. So the choice is a 3GS with the latest software, or an iPhone 6 with the latest hardware and iOS 4.0?

I'd settle with a 4S with iOS 5.
hahah good point. I like the fact you made your own option :D

Alright but if you had no other choice?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'd prefer a phone that works. So I'd pick a candybar phone with nothing but multitap SMS and phone calls, over a smartphone that crashes constantly and can't do anything.

If that doesn't answer your hypothetical question:
I'd pick a iPhone 5 that runs iOS 1.0 over a 3GS that runs anything.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think that the OP just worded his question a little poorly. I think the question is, "What matters more, iOS updates or hardware updates." Obviously the presented situation would never happen. I fear the example is one that doesn't work very well from the get go because iOS 5 is already slow on the 3GS for many people. Loading iOS 6 on the thing would likely be worlds worse. I just don;t see it happening.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I think hardware upgrades take priority because Apple doesn't tend to optimize firmware (at least from what it appears) for their older devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.