iPhone 3GS photo transfer from WIN7 (w/o iTunes)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TB07-NJ, Nov 25, 2011.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I am unable to drag photos from my PC (Win 7) into the iPhone folder that opens up when the iPhone 3GS is plugged in to the computer.

I can see the iPhone folder but when I try to drag photos in it I get an "x" on the photo and it doesn't "drop in."

I can use iTunes to sync them but that is a PITA.

I have googled this issue and can't really find a working fix.

This is a 3GS running 4.2.1. Not upgrading because it is jailbroken.

Any idea?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

iTunes is the only option.

The iPhone is not a mass storage device, you are not able to drag files in and out.

3. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Sorry, but I disagree with that. I do it with my iPad 2 and have done it with my iPhone 4 (which I no longer have). I would always simply copy and paste the DCIM folder to back it up. I have no problem copying files OUT, just can't copy them IN. While it may not technically be seen as a "mass storage device" it comes up in Windows as a "Portable Device" just like my portable hard-drive.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's read-only.

Google iexplorer, it may do what you want.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Haven't you heard of photosync?
    www.photosync-app.com

It will do that and a lot more, wirelessly too.

6. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

You cannot copy anything INTO the folder, you can only copy from it!

It has never been possible to do that way you are explaining, so i don't know what you've invented that goes around that read protection and is able to copy things onto it before.. Maybe you had an app via jailbreak that made this possible? I can't think of any other way really. That is if it even exists one of those apps, doubt it though.

And i don't know why you disagree with saving107, he didn't say specifically copy from, but also copy to it.. which is as said, not possible except with iTunes..

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

^^^ Yes, you can with Photosync. Stock iOS5, no jb.

It can do:
    i-device -> computer
    computer -> i-device
    idevice -> idevice

Attached Files:

8. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Well exxxcccccuuuuuuuuseeeeee me! I disagreed with "saving107" because he was 50% wrong. I can copy files FROM the 3GS TO Win7 without iTunes until the cows come home. That is not a problem. So he was at least 50% wrong. He said "The iPhone is not a mass storage device, you are not able to drag files in and out."

As far as copying TO it, well exxxcccccuuuuuuuuseeeeee me once again. So I remembered wrong (although I still seem to remember doing it before but I am probably thinking of my Android devices). I haven't had an iPhone in a LONG time and have no problem with my Android phone so I may have incorrectly remembered it. This is my wife's phone.

Geez, some folks have such a friggin' attitude. Is it so difficult to just show a little courtesy and maybe just be HELPFUL. I guess at my age (which is probably old enough to be your grandfather) I expect too much.

----------

Thank you but actually no I haven't. All I wanted to do was copy a few photos without loading iTunes or other software and syncing onto my wifes phone so she could have pics of our grandchildren to show off when she visits her sister tomorrow. :) I will check Photosync out for the next time I need quickly copy some pics for her. In the meantime I'll just do it the easy way and email them to her or swap sims and give her my Galaxy S2! I really don't want (or need) iTunes on my computer if I can avoid it.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't understand why you feel it is such a PITA to create a folder called "My Favorite Moments" (example) and drag photos in and out of that folder and have iTunes only sync what you have added or deleted from that one folder.

[​IMG]

Its so much easier than your work-around.

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

FYI, you don't need iTunes to use photosync. It's a simple app, install on your iPhone then your pc. Photos are copied to your pc on a folder, not involving iTunes at all.

PS. Take a deep breath and relax, we don't want you to have a heart attack.

11. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Which I will definitely check out for the next time I need to copy a couple photos. Thanks

----------

Because I don't want iTunes on my computer if I can avoid it. Photo-sync should do fine. Thank you.

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If you only need to copy literately a couple of photos a time, simply emailing to her would be the easiest way. I would only invest in photosync if you do this regularly and need to move many photos.

13. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

You're one to talk :rolleyes:

14. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

True, but since I'm so loaded with money I spent the $2 on photo-sync. :p Definitely works well but I still can't understand the lack of the basic function of copying a photo to the internal storage but yet allowing the ability to drag it out. Every camera and every other phone I have ever used can do that if it has internal storage. I guess that's what makes the iPhone so "unique." :)