iPhone 3gs problem with iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rustyltfc, Jul 7, 2012.

1. rustyltfc macrumors newbie

Hi guys, hope this is the right place to ask this.

For the last 6 or 7 months or so, when I plug my iPhone 3gs into my laptop to update it in iTunes and put new music onto it, it'll get to step 6 of 6 and then the laptop just completely freezes. I have about 1900 songs in my iTunes library but usually only about 200 songs go onto my iPhone before the laptop freezes. I have iOS 5.1.1 and the newest versions of iTunes available. Has anyone got any ideas how to stop this happening and get my iPhone back to normal when it comes to updating it on my laptop? I'm currently considering upgrading to the 4s but I don't want to do that until I get this problem sorted out.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Have you restarted your computer in the time this has been going on?
    Have you tried a different USB cable?
    Have you tried using a different USB port?
    Have you cleaned out the 30-pin USB port on your iPhone, if it's at all dirty?

You can check Console to see if it gives any clues or errors regarding iTunes.
    You can also try deleting iTunes and reinstalling it - make sure you have good backups first though.
    You can also try setting up a new OS X user profile and try syncing the iPhone there. It's possible there could be something in your normal profile causing the issue. Just be sure you don't overwrite your iPhone as a new one in the new user profile.