iPhone 3GS - Restoring to 'factory settings', but iTunes wants to update to 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GizmoDVD, Dec 20, 2010.

1. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Anyway to fix this?

Got a new iPhone 4 and wanted to sell my 3GS jailbroken. I cleared all my info out, but iTunes will only let me restore + update and of course the update is to the latest 4.2.1 firmware. Anyway to do it without getting the new firmware?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Restore with the machine offline and the 4.1 ipsw in the proper folder.

3. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65816

What folder would that be? Would I still have 4.1 already saved somewhere?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

It might already be there, if not, you'll have to find it somewhere and put it there.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The other poster is only partially correct. You also need the SHSH blobs for any iOS other than what Apple is signing for. If you don't have the blobs, you'll only be able to restore to 4.2.1.
    Check the front screen of Cydia or use Tiny Umbrella if you want an updated list of what blobs you have.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ahh, yes, this is true. I forgot. But if the OP has used Cydia recently, it should have saved it for him.

7. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I did. However the phone is stuck in the 'connect to iTunes' mode.

8. Lefty29 macrumors newbie

Lefty29

If you can't find the firmware on your computer google "iphone firmware download" and click on the first link. You'll have no problem downloading it from that site (which is actually a direct link to Apple). As for the restore, you'll want to use TinyUmbrella (as the previous poster mentioned) to do the restore. Make sure you "option-restore" (mac) or "shift-restore" (windows) to select the firmware you downloaded then rejailbreak with your tool of choice (PwnageTool or Limera1n are good for 4.1 and of course Jailbreakme.com for 4.0 or 4.01). Good luck.

P.S. You can also use download and use TinyUmbrella to kick the phone out of recovery mode (connect to itunes screen).