iPhone 3GS Screen Problems and Apple Store ‘help’.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleMark, Jun 23, 2009.

1. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

Received my iPhone 3GS yesterday. Yes it is fast and a fair upgrade from the 1st Gen iPhone. Video camera, extra speed and 32GB’s makes it worthwhile for me personally.

However, the first thing I noticed was that the screen was dim and dreary as is my 1st Gen iPhone display.

Now I have seen a couple of treads about screens, but have been unable to work out if the screen is supposed to be on the bluer side or the warmer yellowish side.

So, I went to the Apple Store to speak to a ‘Genius’, in fact I spoke to 3 different ‘Genius’s who all told me different things. I came away feeling that they were all trained to spout spontanious B-S, should anybody come in with a possible iPhone fault query.

First guy said, that the new screen on the 3GS is coated with a smudge resistant film, which makes it dimmer and washed out, I was aware of the film but not any display dimming properties.

Second Guy said that was not true, but that it was normal; even though I pointed out that his own iPhone was better and more colourful than both my 1st Gen and 3GS, of which he then had the nerve to say that he felt that his display was ‘too’ coloruful. He also told me that I would also notice a difference if I was looking for a fault!

He was also obsessed with turning the brightness up to full to show that is was not as dim or washed out as I was suggesting. However set at comparable and reasonable brightness levels there was a clear difference. My issue was with colours and brightness, not just brightness at the expense of battery life.

Third guy took the biscuit and initially told me that my 1st Gen iPhone screen looked faulty and asked (I am sure he would have known it would have expired) if it was still under warranty. However when I then took out my 3GS, which has the same screen, he then reverted to the same B-S as Guy number 2, claiming acceptable random variance.

How do I know if I have a dud screen? I have compared both my 1st Gen and the 3GS displays to at least 6 other 3G’s and they ARE different, (3 of which were owned by Apple Store employees themselves).

I am told that I have 14 days to give it back, but do not want to do so unless it really is a fault and not an acceptable variance.

I will not get ant sense from the Apple store as they seem more interested in covering their own A$$ than giving straight advice, a bit like the time when I purchased my 1st Gen Nano…….

Any help on this?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Go back and ask for a manager.

3. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

On a similar note...

I bought the 3Gs on launch and i've noticed on three occasions when I try to wake the phone up from 'sleep', the screen is very very dim and you can hardly see the screen... you can just about make the 'slide to unlock' text. Then when I press the power button once, it comes on back to the normal display and everything is visible.

I've tried to book a genius bar appointment through Apple's website although it is saying that all slots are full. Hint, hint...?

Should I be concerned?

4. AppleMark thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

Yes, I will do so if I need to go back to the store, however I am trying to determine whether or not there is a fault or if it is normal first.

May save a long journey into town...

Thanks.

5. AppleMark thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

Is your phone set on 'auto brightness'? This will often change the screen luminance (by initially sensing the light levels), but not the fault that I think I have.

6. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Yeah, this seems to be a pretty popular bug that has surfaced w/ 3.0

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Just checked, the auto brightness is switched off. Hmmm