iPhone 3GS screwed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by normanbates, Aug 24, 2011.

1. normanbates macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I need some serious help.

I have my uncles iPhone that he has knackered up. He bought it jailbroken and decided to 'go legit' and update to stock FW.

During the process something went wrong and now the iPhone is stuck in recovery and whenever I try to update I just get error 1015 at the very end of the firmware update stage.

It's an iPhone 3GS in white 16gb, model number: A1303, serial: 5K026AF43NQ

I've included the log file for the update process.

I've trawled the internet looking for solutions and I've tried the several methods to recover it but it just isn't having any of it.

Attached Files:

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

First off, no need to panic. Everything is fine.

A quick solution to your problem is to download TinyUmbrella, run the program, select the device in the menu to the left, and there should be a button called "Exit Recovery." Click that to kick the iPhone out of recovery.

I would also check the baseband. If it is on 6.15 you cannot install stock firmware. Ever.

You could also download the latest firmware file, option (or shift on windows) click the restore button in iTunes to restore to the file you downloaded.

3. normanbates thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks but it won't kick it out of recovery :(. I don't know what FW it was on or if what baseband it had. SHSH blobs aren't stored anywhere so I'm lost

4. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Open TinyUmbrella again and save your SHSH files. It will attempt to get them from Cydia. Hopefully you have one you can use.

I would highly suggest you install a jailbroken firmware file (4.3.3) and see if it has baseband 6.15. 6.15 is used to unlock the phone, but it comes from the iPad, so your restores won't work.

5. normanbates thread starter macrumors regular

I've clicked on the save SHSH, don't know if it did anything, although there is now a .plist file in the .shsh folder.

Not sure if the SHSH upload directly to Cydia??

What's the best to jailbreak it with? I tried redsn0w earlier but it hung on the reboot part :confused:

6. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

First off, this is what I would try:

open up your hosts file (etc/hosts, or C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts)

And check for the line gs.apple.com.

If it is in there remove it and save the file.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Download the latest firmware file. (can be found with a Google search).

Put your phone in DFU mode (hold Home + Lock for 13 Seconds, let go of power and keep holding home for 7 seconds).

Once iTunes tells you it has found a device in recovery (screen will be off), Option click (or shift for windows) the "Restore" button.

Browse for the file you just downloaded.

Let it do its thing.

---------------------------

If you get any error chances are you have 06.15.00 baseband or you have not removed the entry from the hosts file.

--------------------------------

At this point I would download or create a pwned 4.3.3 or 4.2.1 firmware file (hopefully you have an SHSH for it) with pwnagetool or equivalent.

You cannot go any higher than 4.2.1 if you have the new bootrom.

You also want to make sure that gs.apple.com points to cydia. You can do that through tiny umbrella with the option Modify host file on exit, or something like that.

Good luck! You haven't bricked your phone, just temporarily decommissioned it.

7. normanbates thread starter macrumors regular

I tried to do a normal restore with the cydia server and it gave error 1600, so just currently downloading the 4.2.1 ipsw. Fingers crossed

8. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

If your using the new firmware Cydia might not work. It's best to remove the entries from the host file and try with the latest version that is signed by Apple.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Error 1015 is baseband and software mismatch. In other words, the baseband is usually a higher version than what the software you are installing brings.

That error means USB error/USB miscommunication and/or problems with the jailbreak.

10. normanbates thread starter macrumors regular

I've been getting this trying to install 4.3.5

I got this trying to do a proper 4.3.5 install whilst in DFU mode

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Was this iPhone unlocked at any point? Because so far this looks like a baseband 06.xx.xx problem.

12. normanbates thread starter macrumors regular

I believe it was unlocked yes.

I had no look with the 4.2.1 (either official or pwnd) so tried to jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 but its now just stuck on Exploiting with limera1n and the iPhone is just showing the 'connect to iTunes' screen :(

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If it was unlocked then it used the iPad baseband version. Might I direct your attention to a message from the iPhone Dev Team here

14. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

All he needs to do is install jailbroken firmware. :)

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Not that is really helps you but if you need to kick it out of recovery, you can try recboot (i believe that is what it is called).

16. normanbates, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

normanbates thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried using redsn0w but it hangs at "Exploiting with limera1n" and the phone just displays the "connect to iTunes" screen.

I've tried RecBoot, and tiny umbrella but it just stays with the 'connect to iTunes' screen even though the pc programs report 'success'

Am I just trying to flog a dead horse here?

I've tried every 3GS recovery ipsw possible, official and custom. I don't know if when my uncle tried to do the update he used the 4.3.5 update or not (but then I presume he would as it would have just told him new software was available) and seeing as 4.3.5 isn't jailbroken so if he has surely it's screwed right?

* OK so googled and found that 4.3.5 has a tethered jailbreak available so I tried that. It exploited with limera1n and managed to get stuff loaded on the phone but now the phone is erroring when trying to do the firmware and has just flooded the screen with "please wait" and that's where I'm at :(

17. jaikob, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

This is what you need to do. Scrap resn0w and all these other programs. We are a mac forum so I will assume you have a mac. Download the latest version of pwnagetool.

Download the 4.3.3 stock firmware.

Feed firmware to pwnagetool.

Generate pwned firmware.

pwnagetool will help you put phone in DFU + exploit.

Open itunes.

Option click the restore button.

Browse to new firmware you created.

Phone will restore.

You may get error 1015, kick out of recovery with the button press.

Done.

Make sure you have cydia shsh server in hosts file.

If you have windows, I am sure you can download a firmware file somewhere. Or most preferably have a friend do it.

Edit, if you are connecting through a USB hub that won't work. Connect directly to the machine.

18. normanbates thread starter macrumors regular

I am Windows based I'm afraid. I have the stock firmware and can create a pwn'd version (through sn0wbreeze).

It just keeps failing :(

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

What worked for my 3GS was to create a custom 4.1 firmware with pwngetool, then use redsn0w to push it to the phone. At least, I think that's what I did.

20. normanbates thread starter macrumors regular

Were you experiencing the same problems as me?

I can get it to download the jailbreak to the phone but it fails on the handset when it gets to NAND and firmware downloads (or something like that)

21. arctyler macrumors regular

the same thing happened to my brother, he brought it down to a computer store that fixes mac products and he also works for apple, and he fixed it for like 10-20 bucks

22. silentarts macrumors newbie

For anybody with issues...

As a matter of fact i know how to solve it!!

1)Run redsnow as administrator

2)Go to start(on windows)

3Type in Task manager then open up(View running processes with Task Manager)

4)Go to process and find redsnow.exe

5)Now right click it and click on set affinity

6)Now check(click) on all the boxes) then press OK.

7)Close task manager and when it is in DFU mode keep holding onto the home button until the end of the jailbreak is complete. :)

Hope I helped!(just Jailbroke my iPhone 3Gs on iOS 4.1 using this process....untethered)

23. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Did no one read the update log? He's on 06.15.00... so he has to use custom firmware

Code:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     BEGINNING BOOT
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sending boot code...AppleBCMWLANN88PlatformManager::handleBBNotificationGated(): Baseband Alive
    AppleBCMWLAN::handleWatchdogTimeout(): Watchdog timer fired
    AppleBCMWLAN::watchDogReset(): 0x300
    AppleBCMWLAN::halt()
    IOSDIOController::enumerateSlot(): Re-initializing SDIO device in slot: 0
    IOSDIOController::enumerateSlot(): CMD5 failed with SDIO device on slot 0, SDIO Cmd Timeout
    AppleBCMWLAN::watchDogReset() - driver not initialized, initDongle() omitted
    AppleBCMWLANN88PlatformManager::handleBBNotificationGated(): Baseband Reset, wifi down
    AppleBCMWLAN::halt()
    - GKEY: 0x21
    OK
    Automagic-ing firmware from path /usr/local/standalone/firmware...
    	- FLS file /usr/local/standalone/firmware/ICE2_05.16.02.fls and EEP file /usr/local/standalone/firmware/ICE2_05.16.02.eep are available
    Automagic-ing firmware from path /usr/local/standalone/firmware -- All OK

Version ICE2-05.16.02 is available, [B]ICE2-06.15.00 is already loaded[/B]
    Deciding whether to update or not...
    	- Available version is older

!!! Exception at :0:
    	- BBUReturnBadArgument(5)/15: Cannot perform an automatic update to a previous version
    attempting to dump restore log
    writing log file: /mnt1/restore.log