Iphone 3gs should i buy if the owner doesnt have the bill or box

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pawan, Feb 26, 2010.

1. pawan macrumors newbie

hi,

there is this guy who wants to sell his iphone 3gs for 200£ which is very cheap. the phone is in good condition and he says its brand new. the problem here is not having the box of the phone, neither the data cable. the head phone seems to be duplicate. i bliv he has robbed this phone or he has found it somewhere. the phn is locked on O2 n/w and he is not aware hw to unlock it dats why he is saying its just an ipod.
    what if i buy the phn and when i put my sim card will the phn get locked as the owner might have reported the IMEI no and than O2 locks it. is this possible?
    the phone is in excellent condition thats making me think should i buy it or not.

2. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I'd go for it. If you don't, can you let me know where it's for sale, as I'll take a chance on it

3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

try and get the imei number or the serial off the phone and run some checks on it with O2, if it's stolen you could be done for handling stolen goods,

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Don't do it. If you have to ask should I do this, don't do it.

5. pawan thread starter macrumors newbie

im going to buy the phone im just worried what if the phone is stolen.

1)when i put my sim after i unlock the phone will O2 be abel to lock it back again as it identified the no
    2)if the phone get locked by O2 can i get it unlocked again

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Here in the states if goods are stolen from a store, a firm is more apt to do things like disable the handset or track you down. If it was lost and found they could care less. I've confirmed this with ATT & tmobile as i've found plenty of phones (none better than the iPhone, so they get returned :) ) and the CSRs i've talked to said they'll flag it but that's about it. Even Apple won't maintain a database of stolen hardware unless its their stolen hardware :rolleyes:

7. applgeek macrumors member

I would get it. I have bought phones from people on the streets and i know that as long as mobileme is not on there no one will be tracking it.

8. ISHESH macrumors newbie

i have buyed an iphone without a box and bill and hod jailbreak it buy redsnow and unlocked it buy redsnow also and it is working fine but i want to know weother the iphone is stolen or not plz help

thanx