iPhone 3GS shutdown

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JonnieLott, May 27, 2012.

1. JonnieLott macrumors newbie

Hi!

I just recently bought my friends 3GS, and it worked like a charm, except one thing.
    The phone randomly shuts off whenever it feels like it, if I have mobile data or locations services activated. It really bugs me since I have a free data plan.
    Anyone else having this problem or perhaps a solution?
    I read somewhere that a battery change could fix this, but I wanted to check it with you guys first.
    What do you think is wrong?

Greetings,
    Jonnie

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

You could either return it to your friend and ask your money back, or install a new battery and see if that helps. This seems like a good choice. If it's jailbroken I would recommend installing batteryinfolite, which will tell you exactly how healthy your current battery is.

3. JonnieLott thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'd prefer to change the battery.
    Are you sure that battery is legit? I'm always very skeptical when it comes to eBay.
    Are there any tutorials on how to change battery?

It's not jailbroken, since I'm such a newbie with all of this. Would you recommend a jailbreak, a simple way, that is?

4. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Well, legit.. it's not made by Apple, but neither is any other iphone battery available on the internet. I bought a couple of these and the capacity is the same as the original, and they look exactly the same as well. A good guide is available here
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-3GS-Battery/1545/#.T8I1BY6ECmE

Very easy to follow. Also, these guys sell 3gs batteries too if you really don't trust ebay.

I'm afraid I can't help you jailbreak the device. My 3gs is jailbroken on 4.3.3, about a year ago, so I don't even remember what tools I used to do it. I would always recommend a jailbreak though. Hopefully someone else can help you, but I suggest you read up on it, because it's going to require some time either way. What iOS version does it run?

5. JonnieLott thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!
    Just checked out the guide, seems quite hard, but I guess it will work out fine if you just take it easy. Do I need any special tools or can they all be 'found at home'?

6. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

You'll need a small phillips head screwdriver ph00 or ph000, I can't check right now. If it properly fits in the screws next to the dock port, it will fit properly for all other screws. Make sure that it has a magnetized tip, because that will be a huge help. No, a HUGE help. You'll also need a suction cup to pull the screen off, and getting one of these will come in handy as well. And a couple of fine tweezers is always good to have around.

And yes it seems quite hard, but like you say, take it easy. Don't start this unless you've got plenty of time. One of the connectors that the screen is connected with is of the flip lock variety - be careful with it. Be careful when pressing all the small connectors back on, and be careful not to break the small copper tab that connects the board to the phone's steel rim. It's to the left of the screw with the yellow ring in this pic http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/2qikdfJo3tebRKuE.large

7. JonnieLott thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll check if I have those things at home, with I probably have.
    I'll definitely take it slowly and not rush things while exchanging battery!

I just got the batteryinfolite, but I have no idea what my results mean, but they do look kinda bad.

CurrentCapacity: 962mAh
    MaxCapacity: 962mAh
    DesignCapacity: 1200mAh
    BatteryCharge: 80.17% (It's fully charged)
    CycleCount: 430
    Voltage: 4192mV
    BootVoltage: 4146mV

What do you get of that?

8. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

MaxCapacity is the maximum charge that the battery will hold, DesignCapacity is the capacity of a new battery. Which works out to 80% 'health'. Pretty much in line with what Apple claims it should be after 400 cycles. Anyway, your battery's best days are gone, so a new one will certainly not hurt, and hopefully solve your rebooting problem.

9. JonnieLott thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I ordered a new battery from where you recommended, and the installation was succesfull.. so I thought.
    That little thing that pops out of the side of the battery is 'too long' and if I put it right, the battery is not straight, but a bit to the left.
    The second thing I noticed was that batteryinfolite couldn't find any information at all about the battery.
    The third thing was that it shut off all the time.
    I ended up butting back the old battery, and it seems to be working without the shutdowns.
    I think there's something wrong with the battery, what do you think?

10. chambone, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yeah, I got bad batteries too, both from ebay and from 'reputable' sellers. And also one with a crooked connector. I took mine apart four times, and to be honest with you, I ended up putting the original battery back in as well. And found out through batteryinfolite that it had only 93 cycles on it at that time (got my 3GS from someone at work so didn't know its history). Your problem is that you pretty much need a new battery. Just out of curiosity, did the battery come with those 3M double-sided adhesive bits on the back?

And I'm sorry that you got a bad battery from a seller I pointed you to. I just searched for OEM and that particular part number (616-0435) in the description. You could also order from ifixit but you'll pay four times the ebay price plus usps shipping to Sweden. Don't get me wrong, I love those guys and what they do, but money is money. I am convinced that all those 'OEM' 616-0435 3GS batteries from ifixit or any seller at ebay are the same. I could be wrong though. (but that assessment is based on having bought these batteries from both ifixit and ebay)

Anyway, complain with the seller. They will send you a new one just to get rid of you and keep you from giving negative feedback. They won't need the bad one back because these things cost them very little. Tell them the connector is not straight and as a result the phone reboots all the time.

11. JonnieLott thread starter macrumors newbie

It did not come with the adhesive, no!
    I will certainly complain to them until I get a new battery, thanks for the tip!

No hard feelings, everyone could've done the same. Let's just hope that, if I get a new battery, it will be better than the last!