iPhone 3GS Sound Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GameHog9, Nov 7, 2011.

1. GameHog9 macrumors newbie

Ive had my 3GS for about 2 months, and now the unit is not making any external sound. It works just fine when headphones are plugged in, but not a peep without. This sounds like a software issue to me, but the The Mighty Internet claims it is hardware.

I can and will get it replaced under warranty, but I cant help but wonder; am I getting a ticking time bomb? iPhone users of the world, Please give me your feedback!

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

What do you mean by "am I getting a ticking time bomb"? I have a 3GS and it works perfectly, albeit a bit slower than I'd like but I'm not complaining.

As for your problem, I'd do as you wrote: get it replaced.

3. GameHog9 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I mean by "ticking time bomb" is how likely I am to experience the problem again. Ive been googling this problem to death for an hour now, even iPhone 4 users have reported this problem.

If I may ask, how long have you had your 3GS?

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

There's no telling if you'll experience it again but between my wife and me, we've had several 3GSs and have never had the problem you're having, for whatever that's worth.

My current 3GS was purchased as a used iPhone via private sale back in August (I think). When I first got it the earpiece speaker didn't work so I took it to an Apple store and the Genius who worked on it fixed it in a minute or so and handed it back to me without charging me anything. Haven't had any problems with it since.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If it's under warranty, there is no downside to getting it replaced. Like Nike says, "Just do it" :)

6. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

I've had my 3GS since 2009. I had this problem happen once where it would not make a single sound, yet with headphones it worked fine.
    I just did a few hard shutoffs on it and finally it worked again.
    Idk what happened but it worked, so worth a shot if you haven't already tried it.