Iphone 3gs - to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by V532, Mar 7, 2013.

1. V532 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

My dads been considering to buy a new phone for quite some time now. And really he does want an iphone (for the syncing of contacts and calendar etc with his mac).

But he doesnt want to spend the rather large amount of money a new iphone would require. Personally im on a 4s and completely happy with it! I also had a 3gs when it first came out and generally i think that would be enough for him. I doubt he needs siri and the new maps, etc. tbh i think some of them might just confuse him a little anyway ;)

But here's my question; is it worth it to buy a 3gs now keeping in mind the software updates in the next few years? I know that its basically the firt phone where updates work for 3+ years after release but what will happen once the new ios dont work anymore? Will that, at all, impact his syncing contacts and calendars with his mac?

As i said, he just wants the basics really.. Wifi, emails, sync contacts and calendar, possibly a reader and some news app... Hes got a fancy camera, a working navi and an ipod so he doesnt even really need any of thos things. I remember the 3gs touch screen as being pretty good and not requiring u to press on the screen hard at all (the way it is with some blackberrys or others - the one he has now included).

Hes already got a plan that would suit him in terms of internet (500 mb - more than enough for his purposes).

So yes, my question is: would it (still) be worth to spend the € 150-200 for an iphone or should he keep looking? Tbh i dont think that he would buy a newer model just because (to him) the prices are outrageous...

All my thanks already :)

2. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

3. mapledress macrumors regular

If I were you, I will buy one iPhone 4s for your father. Just in order to show your love. Compared to iPhone 3gs, the iPhone 4s is more suitable for your father. Better display and other specs.

----------

Yes, we can also buy it from Ebay.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Sure, the 3GS is still a decent iphone, and very capable of your dad's basic tasks.

5. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

my parents both have 2nd hand 3gs/32, cant go wrong 2nd hand for £80 each

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Not sure if I'd buy into a 3GS at this point. It's almost 4 years old. Get him something that will last longer and give him a better experience like a 4s.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I wouldn't buy a phone that old now.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

9. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

10. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

i would love to be able to find a reasonably priced 3g or 3gs in good condition myself, my mum is still using an old , and now battered iPhone (1st gen) that she loves and wont give up, but now the screen is failing and id like to replace the phone for her cheaply (no contract, pay as you go)

11. 617aircav Suspended

Yeah it's worth it f you are buying it used of craigslist for $40. Buying it on contract is a hell of a waste of subsidy.

12. simply stunning macrumors regular

I would take his upgrade from him if you can. I would pay the $200 for an iPhone 5. Then give him your 4S. You get an upgrade and he gets a better phone than he would have.

But you may not have the cash to do this.

I have done this with my sister before, and it worked out well for both of us.

13. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

What OS is the OG iPhone running on?

14. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

os 3.1.3

15. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

3 something i think..

Probably right,,,

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you want a budget iPhone, get a new (£319.00 unlocked from Apple) / refurb iPhone 4 (none on UK store right, but some carriers might have it. Make sure it's Apple refurb though.).

Apple will take care of any questions for a year. It's a better value than getting something out of warranty.

17. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't go with anything less than an iPhone 4s right now.

18. g0odfr1end102, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Why a 4S guys, aside for SIRI and internal upgrades that his dad isn't going to notice: what's the point? I would go with the 4: mainly for the Retina screen. Durable, beautiful and capable phone, for only $99 for 16go.

Hope this helped, keep us posted OP! :eek:

edit: iOS7 will still work with the 4, 3GS PROBABLY won't

19. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The difference in the internals is HUGE. The 4 has the same internals as the 3GS, just more power efficient and a 200mhz faster processor. The difference is very noticeable and it will keep getting more and more noticeable as apps and websites continue to advance and mobile OS's get heavier. A single core Cortex A8 processor vs a Dual Core Cortex A9 is quite a big difference. Besides, you can do a LOT better for $99 subsidized than an iPhone 4. Like a 4S. The 4 is already starting to show it's age. Every icon has to retire at some point. The 4 had a great run but it's time to move on. Even for a basic user.

20. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Who cares how old the phone is as long as it fits his father's needs? His father wants a CHEAP iPhone and looks like the kind who doesn't care about specs like all of us here...

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd seriously consider a 4, just for the better camera and Retina display.

22. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Never owned the 4S, so it's true I never got around to playing with it. I'm maybe going to repeat myself, but the OP's Dad REALLY doesn't seem interested in a "high top" phone ("he just wants the basics really.. Wifi, emails, sync contacts and calendar, possibly a reader and some news app... Hes got a fancy camera, a working navi and an ipod so he doesnt even really need any of thos things"). I know MY Dad would be grateful to have an iPhone 4. End of the day, the OP will make a decision: let's see what he chooses! But I am more than willing to admit the 4S is a lot more capable than the 4! :) Good day!

23. ParagJain macrumors 6502

I was in the same situation; I actually bought iPhone 4
    it looks same to 4S, has retina display and good camera too for his needs.

he doesn't need siri and panoramas type of things. Looks beautiful and current in his hand and he was really pleased about it.

he also learnt doing facetime when on wifi so that got him even more pleased.

24. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I'd go for either a 4 or 4S and avoid the 3GS.

Why?

Because while the 3GS will do these basic tasks your father requires, it's a question of how well and how good will the experience be.

The 3GS will be 4 years old this summer and is unlikely to receive any form of iOS 7 update (if it does it will be bare minimum and probably affect performance further).

You don't want your fathers first experience of owning an iPhone to be a bad one, and the much slower performance of the 3GS on iOS 6 along with the less than stellar UI animations means that your father may end up more frustrated with his first iPhone rather than loving it and becoming a long standing iPhone user and customer.

Just my thoughts.

25. Davejprince macrumors regular

I recommend to buy atleast the iPhone 4(s) because the screen and the slightly improved specs compared to the previous generation.