Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
G'day,

I've upgraded, so have a superfluous iPhone 3GS, which I was hoping to turn into a baby video monitor - idea being to set the iPhone 3GS up in my baby's room, allowing us to see him using either my new iPhone 5S, or wife's 3GS (or iPad Retina). No need for being able to communicate both ways.

There's about 300 hits on the App Store, most of which don't actually offer the service I'm after (ie some require specific hardware - not another iPhone... Some don't do video... etc).

I'm poor, so was hoping there'd be a free option... though it looks like "Best Baby Monitor" is... well going to be the best...

Can anyone recommend an app... or confirm that "Best" is in fact - the best?

Cheers,

cosmic

lspence7

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
Somewhere over the rainbow
Hi cosmic,

I think I have a great app in mind for you. It's not exactly meant for a baby monitor but it is completely free and functions just the same way. The app captures audio and video so you will be able to hear your baby if he/she has an issue and be able to respond. Also, it features motion detection which can be used to send a notification to your iPhone 5s when it is detected. It is called Presence and if you follow this link on both devices you can download and start using it! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/presence-by-people-power/id618598211?mt=8 Make sure to make an account and link the devices by logging in with the same account. The app will walk you through some basics to get set up and the rest is pretty intuitive!

Hope this helps!
-lspence7

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
Hi cosmic,

I think I have a great app in mind for you.... It is called Presence and if you follow this link on both devices you can download and start using it!
Hope this helps!
-lspence7

So what's your cut? ;) Just kidding.

Over the past 24 hours or so I think I've tried about 8 different apps.. and would you believe - Presence was the last one, and most useful to date!

Will certainly try it out next sleep time... The one main concern I have is not so much about the app, but the 3GS's camera, which doesn't perform well in low light. (Not sure the 5S does either...) But we'll mostly be using it during day time sleeps I think, and we don't have black-out curtains, so we should be able to get a fair idea of what bubs is doing, to go with what he's saying (crying), and know whether he's truly upset or just making noise.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.