iPhone 3Gs Ver 4.0 Firmware 05.13.04 Is it possible to jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JakRox, Sep 10, 2010.

1. JakRox macrumors member

I am new to jailbreak, so please excuse my total ignorance. I have searched, but I am still confused by the myriad of terms and situations one could find them self in on any configuration of iPhone.

Having said that, this is my situation.

I have iPhone 3Gs, Version 4 with Firmware 05.13.04. Never jailbroken. I want to jailbreak to put Cydia on it so I can then buy, download and run MiWi to share my data with my wifi iPad.

From the reading and searching I have done, I am confused about different situations which you can or can not jailbreak. Some things depend on your Firmware number and you have to take it back down or you can't even jailbreak. Or, some things I've read say you can't do it past a certain point of update on your phone.

I have never jailbroken my phone, as you can tell my my lack of savvy.

I was hoping someone could give me direction to instructions or advise or let me know if it's possible, or have I updated my phone too high to do this.

Much appreciation for your taking this time to read this thread.

Tim

2. macrazee macrumors regular

Absolutely, it is possible. If you are using 4.0.1 or below, simply direct your phone over to jailbreakme.com and take care of business :) Be sure to install the Cydia PDF patch afterwards. Do NOT update beyond 4.0.1, as there is nothing for that at this time.

3. JakRox thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the lead.
    I used Jailbreakme, and I did the PDF patch. When I click on Cydia, I see like an advertised line saying MyWi 4.0, but when I click on it, it says:
    Note: Cannot Locate Package.
    Then it goes on to tell me The package com.mywi4 cannot be found in your current sources.

I'm lost with this. I've restarted, but that didn't help.
    I've done a search, and that does not come up in the searches.

Any advise please?

Thank you,
    Tim

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

OP, glad you got your phone jailbroken! I've got the exact same model, OS, and firmware as you (been jailbroken since the day they released the jailbreakme jb and was jailbroken with Spirit before that).

It's a LOT of information to take in and it can be overwhelming, but don't get discouraged. Do a ton of reading on here, as well as other forums and if you've got a question about something specific, do yourself a favor and Google it first (I say that so you won't get slammed with "DO A SEARCH!!!" comments from other members).

As far as MiWi goes, I just pulled up Cydia and tapped on the link on the front page, and it loads up fine for me. It could've been that the repo (repository...where jailbreak apps are hosted) was down when you selected it. That will happen from time to time. Sometimes you'll open Cydia and it'll load the sources but will pop up a message saying such-and-such repo couldn't be found. That's normal. It just means that repo is down, most likely for maintenance or updating. Don't panic...lol.

Like I said, do a lot of reading and you'll be up to speed in no time. I've only been jailbreaking for a few months now and it's amazing how much more knowledge I have now than when I started!

5. JakRox thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I did a restore and now it works.
    I appreciate your help.

6. mgbfrance macrumors newbie

Hi,

I shall be in Charlotte NC on Friday afternoon (flying in from Europe and will stay one night) and have an iphone 3gs which needs unlocking/jailbreak.

Also, I’m interested in buying an unlocked iphone 4

Anybody able to help?

Thanks

MGB