iPhone 3GS vs Android

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by militaryman911, Dec 12, 2010.

1. militaryman911 macrumors member

Im thinking about getting a new phone for christmas and don't know if i should get an iphone (probably the 3gs because of price) or an Android phone (particularly the Captivate)

A big concern, and why im leaning towards the iphone, is for music. I also want this phone to replace my ipod and know the iphone has an ipod, itunes store and all that. I have about 11gb's of music i want to put on, so would the 16gb be enough with all the apps and other stuff as well?

Also once you create a plan, say i chose the 450 minutes per month or whatever it is, can i later upgrade that to the 700 or unlimited options?
    Same thing with the data pack and texting?

2. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Yes you can change your plan at any time etc, and it is very easy to do.

3. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

4. AlkFoo macrumors member

I can only comment on the iPhone, not sure about the android... but having my iTunes/music on the iPhone and already having to update/sync with iTunes would lead me to think the 3GS is your best bet. I've only downloaded my music to iTunes, since getting an iPod 5 years ago, then an iPhone... there could be an easy way to take music to android based phone, but personally speaking, I've definitely not heard any superiority of one those phones compared to an iPhone for music...

If you already have 11GB's of music, I would assume you are music lover and will continue to add. Not knowing the rate in which you will do so aside, I would say 16GB would fine for now, but 32GB's might be something to consider. With apps, pics, etc... you will add to your GB total... so, I guess it will come down if you're thinking of upgrading in 2 years, or holding on to this "new" phone longer.

Good Luck!

5. Alizay Mirza macrumors newbie

Alizay Mirza

With all due respect, but the title is a bit misguided, as iPhone 3GS is a device working on iOS and Android itself is an operating system. So you would rather have mentioned an Android device in your title for getting more concerned replies

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Speaking as an owner of both am iPhone 4 and an Android-powered Samsung Galaxy-S Fascinate, getting your iTunes housed music over to the iPhone is stupid simple. It was built that way by design.

Getting your DRM-protected purchased music over to the fascinate requires all sorts of add-on applications and even then only certain files will play. If your music collection consists mainly of MP3 or non-DRM music files, however, it's fairly easy to do once you ditch iTunes in favor of similar Android friendly apps.

In my experience, Apple software works best with Apple hardware.....by design.

7. Max. macrumors member

Max.

Exactly this.

However if you're looking for more music space as that's what you're solely intending to use your iPhone for, why don't you go with a larger-sized iPod, such as the Classic, or 32GB/64GB iPod Touch, to use apps, alongside an Android device. In my experience, putting music onto an Android device has been a pain, and the music players on them aren't as great as the iPhone/iPod.

8. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

I have thought about that and it is still a possibility.

9. caslee macrumors newbie

Nowadays Android OS is very famous and also great features as well, best updated technology and easy to use, Android is much comfortable and reliable. Smasung Galaxy, HTC and Motorola Droid phone is really nice phone and excellent features. Best in internet use and nice application available now. I prefer now Android phone first.

10. ryanrich macrumors regular

I would go 3GS.

Music is also an important part of my phone, and I made the mistake of going from my old 3GS to an HTC Desire and immediately regretted it. When it comes to media management and music playback iOS is definitely the way to go, especially the iTunes integration...

11. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

iTunes sucks.

Get a Galaxy S/Vibrant/Captivate/Epic. It plays just about everything (audio and video) that you can throw at it out of the box.

No sync program needed. Plug phone in, computer sees it as removable drive, copy media over. Done.

No importing, corrupt files or sync programs slowing down and crashing.

12. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Couple of things for you to consider...

First, let me say that I am a loyal iPhone user. I've owned the original, a 3G and now an iP4. I also have a Samsung Galaxy "Fascinate" with service on Verizon. It is a GREAT device and if I wasn't so in love with the iPhone I would have an Android phone in a heartbeat. Its very close the the iPhone in terms of function and zippiness. I haven't really messed with loading music/media on it so I cannot comment on how that part of it works, however if you already are invested in using iTunes I would imagine that an iPhone would be the logical choice for the seamlessness of the connection.

Second, regarding space...if you do go with an iPhone I would suggest buying the biggest you can afford. I had an 8GB 3G which worked OK for me although I never kept a ton of music on it (I have 60+GB of music so can't put it all on anyhow). When I went to get the iP4 I *almost* went with a 16GB thinking that since I was doubling what I was used to I would be fine. But at the last minute I grabbed a 32GB and I am glad I did. The apps run so much faster/better on the 4 that I have been going app crazy (especially with games) and between the apps, video and music it eats up space quickly. Yes, you could load your 11GB library onto a 16GB 3GS, but once you allow for the OS you will have less than 5GB left for anything else.

Lastly, unless I am mistaken you cannot buy the 16GB 3GS new anymore (only the 8GB is available) so you're going to be spending ~$200+ on a used 16GB. That is the same price as a 16GB iP4 and for another $100 you're into a 32GB.

13. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

I think you should get the iphone 4 in the upcomming year. Android is pretty sweat but cant keep up with ios. Also you should go for 32 gb wince you music collection is rather big. Many of my friend have iphones and thei are full of apps. Apps are mostly 20-150 mb so they require a lot of space. And you should know that the real memory is not as big as it says in the description. The os takes about 500 mb and the other apis take also some space. So you wont get more than 15 gb on the 16 model

14. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Can't keep up? what do you mean? Android comes out with software updates that add features much faster than Apple does lol. WE HAVE TO WAIT A WHOLE DAMN YEAR!! For ****s sake I'm still waiting to be able to organize the photo's on my iphone....****ing A.

15. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Yeah you are right android is as good as ios. But android is just so dull

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

play with them both which ever you like best buy... Also you can't just say 3gs vs Android since the Android platform has many different devices as well as OS on those devices. Since you are on a Apple forum you are going to get more Iphone and Android on there forum.. I like the iPhone as long as I can JB after that it's time to move on... Apple is too restrictive for me!

17. blackapple15 macrumors newbie

blackapple15

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I recommend an iPhone. I have tried both phones and I am currently switching back to my iPhone 3G because of androids incapability of syncing with iTunes. Of course there are other 3rd party applications such as double twist but they are usually very difficult to use and exclude many songs bought from iTunes because of DRMs etc. There are still pluses to android such as it being more open. Particularly the android app store and being able to manage as card space from the phone. The android app store features many apps such as gtunes music which allows you to download songs directly onto your device for free.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You're going to get bias answers on this since well, you're in an Apple related forum.

Android OS looks pretty cool from the youtuve vids I've seen. I like the floating windows and gestures.

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'll try to do this as unbiasedly as possible (I have a Captivate, and I switched over when it came out from a 3GS 32GB).

Music/Videos: You say you want music/videos etc. 16GB probably won't be enough for you, but the Captivate has a microSD slot. The player...I'm perfectly fine with the stock music/video players on the Captivate, but if you aren't, you can always download different ones from the Android Market (Android version of App Store).

- The iPhone has ease of syncing with iTunes if you use that to manage all your music. It has everything saved in one place (The iPod app, as opposed to Music app and Videos app of Captivate).

Overall, for music, they're both perfectly capable.

Typing: I don't know how much of a texter/emailer you are from your phone, but I'm a heavy texter. I really like the Swype keyboard, and much prefer it over the iOS keyboard. In Landscape mode, the iPhone wins though. When I first got the Captivate, I kept rotating it to text, and really hated it. Then, I realized that it's not like the iPhone, and I shouldn't treat it like that, so I started using Swype in portrait mode, and now-a-days, I never go landscape. I even have the Rotation Lock on, so it doesn't switch.

The phone app on iOS definitely beats the Phone app on Android though. It's just...easier to use.

Uhm...what else..

Oh, if you like Widgets and things like that, iOS doesn't really have any. I had mine jailbroken, and put weather "widgets" on the home screen to make it easier, but they never really worked completely perfectly. The widget integration of Android is definitely amazing.