iPhone 3GS weirld problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twodoubleight, Mar 16, 2012.

1. twodoubleight macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3GS ios version 5.1. just two days ago I changed my iPhone battery and weird stuff has happening since. My battery percentage would jump from 98% to 92%, and then from 87% to 82%, and then after that I rebooted my phone and it went back to 86 or 87%, and after a minutes of usage it would jump back to 82% again. And another weird thing is last night when I charge my iPhone battery percentage is when it is 28%, it reboots itself and the battery percentage would shoot up to 57%! And then this morning while I was listening music on my iPhone, it will turn off by itself around 90%, but after that the iPhone still can be turned on. And just now, I drained my iPhone battery until its dead, I plug it into a charger and maybe after 10 to 20 minutes it would shoot up to around 50%, and just now right before my eyes, the battery percentage would jump up and down while it's charging, it jumped from 88 to 92 and then to 88 and then back to 92 again in around less than 2 seconds. does all this happened because of a faulty battery? or because of the os? I already tried reseting my settings and restored my iPhone, but it does not seem to fix it.

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Well, I have to guess it's the battery. I have a 3GS too, and have changed the battery more than once. I found that the batteries that are sold on ebay as 'OEM' have very good capacity; the same as the original and the same as the batteries that ifixit sells (and they also look exactly the same as the batteries that ifixit sells). I also found that the remaining capacity reported by the circuitry of these batteries can be spotty. I didn't experience jumps in percentage as extreme as you describe it, but I did have it discharge in jumps of 4-5%, and also the odd spontaneous reboot. What you need to pay attention to is the part number, or APN (616-0435 is the latest I believe), and even then you could get a lemon. From any seller. iFixit and most Chinese sellers are not difficult about that; they will send you a new one - no need to send back the faulty one. Problem is that you have to take the phone apart almost entirely again.

Anyway, I ended up putting back the original battery after I found out that it had just 80 cycles on it (I got mine used), and I haven't had problems since.