iPhone 3gs won't sync to Itunes because its from out of country?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by imallama, Jun 8, 2010.

1. imallama macrumors newbie

Hello! I'm having a bit of an issue and don't really know what to do. I have an iphone 3gs 32gb that was bought off a friend who was wanting to sell one. Turns out that since he's from Canada, the iphone is also. I tried to get it to sync to itunes but it won't recognize it because I'm not the original owner. I know that I would need to restore it but in order to do that I would need to first unlock the phone before it could connect to my itunes (at least that's what the people over at Apple said, if I remember correctly.) I tried inserting my own simcard (I'm located in the US btw) and alas, to no avail. I'm kind of sad because I have an iphone and can't use it :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! I'm so excited to be part of this great forum.

2. applerocks macrumors regular

Does the iPhone have a passcode lock enabled? The only reason the iPhone would prevent you from restoring is if there is a passcode on. The iPhone intentionally forbids you from restoring. Just get the passcode from the original owner, unlock it, and iTunes will be happy.