iPhone 4.1 and baseband 5.16.05

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by praveenksid, Jan 14, 2012.

1. praveenksid macrumors newbie

Hi,

Newbie here and I don't know whether this issue has been previously discussed. I had an iphone 3gs 4.1 which mistakenly I restored to ios 5.0.1. Along the way I think base band also got updated to 5.16.05. Somehow I was able to downgrade iOS using custom IPSW to 4.1 with Cydia installed on it. I thought it is already jailbroken. But it is not detecting any SIM card.

Please help.

2. Applejuiced, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is it locked to a specific provider?
    Its not detecting any sim card or any sim cards not from the original carrier its locked to?
    Jailbreaking and unlocking are 2 different things.
    Just because its JB it doesnt mean it is unlocked and will accept any carriers sim.
    If Im reading this correctly you messed up and upgraded and lost your unlockable baseband. So only option now is the ipad bb but it comes with many sides and not something I recommend unless you're desperate.

3. praveenksid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I thought Jailbroken means it would accept any SIM card. It is locked to AT&T. I have an another AT&T phone. Can I use the other phone's SIM card to see if it works on iPhone? What I understand now is I cannot downgrade the baseband. I just wanted to get it unlocked and sell it on Ebay or craiglist. I would appreciate your tips on getting it working and selling it:)

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Jailbroken just means it will run non apple approved software, unlocking is an entirely different step, which is usually dependant on being jailbroken first.

only way to unlock that now is to update to an ipad version of baseband, but this will, I gather, break GPS. So I'd be cautious over this, as that could affect resale value more than having a vanilla ios5 device.