iPhone 4 - 4.0.1 upgrading to 4.1 - is it possible without bricking my phone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by suhaylz, Nov 2, 2010.

1. suhaylz macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently have an iPhone 4, with iOS 4.0.1. It's locked to UK carrier which is fine as i use the same SIM as the natural lock but it was jailbroken via jailbreakme.com

However now i simply just want to update the firmware to 4.1. Is this possible without bricking my phone?

Regards.

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

You cannot brick your phone with software.

So the answer to your question is yes.

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

My iphone 4 is on 4.1 and unlocked and works just fine: facetime, tether, etc. In your case greenpois0n, limera1n or redsn0w would work for you since you don't care about an unlock.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Jailbreaking has no effect on the option to update firmware. Just a quick read here or quick Google search would have yielded an answer to this

Besides, no one would jailbreak if it removed the option to update firmware.

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Not to sound condescending, but it will anyway... Now that I'm on my 3rd generation of iPhone I'm noticing the pattern that with every hardware upgrade we get a wave of new people on here that just don't take the time to do any research and the overall conversation levels here get dumbed down quite a bit. The iPhone 4 was such a success that the effect this time around has been overwhelming.

I wish there was a way to force conversations for new jailbreakers to one forum where this kind of help and direction could be given, and after a certain number of posts they could participate in the iPhone Hacks forum (for example). Is that crazy talk?

Having said that, I surely enjoying helping others out, giving the right "forum".

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

These newbies don't even bother to read the stickies. What makes you think they'll post in the correct forum?

7. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

That's my point. If the forum software could force you to only post into certain forums until your post count hit a certain level, it would serve that purpose. They could read this forum, but not clutter it up. Make sense?

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I'm pretty sure vBulletin can do it, it's only a matter of configuring it. But then I switched over to phpBB because I hated configuring vBulletin so I don't even know how to suggest or if even the facilitators of this board would be interested.

As someone mentioned above, most people can't even be bothered to read the stickies, so they would probably just get frustrated and move on. A few or three threads that were kept up to date (or replaced) could probably handle 99% of jailbreakers and unlocker questions.