iPhone 4 (4.2.1 w/ Greenpoison) stuck in DFU forever

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by selfrevo, Mar 30, 2011.

1. selfrevo macrumors newbie

Hi all,

things are getting rather desperate and I am hoping someone here can help.

I have an iPhone 4 with the original 4.2.1 preinstall. When greenpoison was released I successfully completed the jailbreak, and things have been fantastic since then.

Until. I went on vacation to mexico, and soon after arriving (roaming on Telcel) I was listening to my phone's iPod when it suddenly powered off.

I tried to poweron/off but the phone did not respond. I tried to hard-reset and the apple icon appeared and then the screen went black. Some attempts could get the apple (then greenpoison logo) but the phone would not boot. At one point the battery seemed to have been degraded and after that the phone was able to boot, but after 10 minutes it powered off again and the same cycle resumed.

When I got home I attempted to restore the phone using Tiny Umbrella and my Cydia SHSHs. But it failed with error 1600.

Now the phone will not leave DFU mode under any circumstances. iTunes sees the phone in DFU, but error 1600, I hear connects/disconnects of USB, but Tiny Umbrella does not see the device, in logs it just says that device in DFU mode connected, but nothing in the sidebar.

Tried to use redsnow to get the phone into recovery, but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone help? I don't mind updating to the new OS at this point, anything to unbrick!

2. kimando, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

kimando macrumors newbie

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The OP can't install 4.2.1 without the blobs, as Apple is only signing 4.3. Don't give bad advice like that.
    In situations where the phone shuts itself off inexplicably, I charge it via the wall charger for an hour or longer. I then do DFU while it's plugged in. This is one of those jb things that I find rather aggravating.

4. selfrevo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I will try that.
    Anything to get this back, JB seems a moot point at the moment.

5. kimando macrumors newbie

sorry, didn't think about the signing. Thank's for pointing that out. Thought it would work since it's the same that's already on the phone and not a downgrade. No more commenting for me. Hope it works out.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No worries. For some reason, installing anything lower than the current iOS is considered a downgrade--even if that iOS is already on the phone. I guess it's apple's way of forcing upgrades on those like the OP.

7. selfrevo thread starter macrumors newbie

so the only thing that worked was letting the battery drain, then the phone tried to boot and stayed in recovery (not DFU).

Then I tried to do a restore to latest ios (4.3.1 I assume?), which failed at 25%. Messed around here and there and decided to use Tiny Umbrella with 4.2.1 (I have blobs on cydia). that failed and brought be back to the DFU problem all over again... let the battery drain once again.

Then I used ireb to use pwned DFU, this seemed to work. went back to itunes and tried to restore to current Ios. Got much further, 75%, then the phone reboots and Itunes throws error 3194.

I feel that I am close.. so close. I guess going to 4.2.1 seems to be the phone killer. I am not sure why. I am going to focus on getting past the error 3194 and at least getting the phone to boot with latest os.

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Try this;

1. Open tiny umbrella
    2. Click Advance
    3. Uncheck the box "set Host to Cydia on Exit
    4. click apply change & exit
    5. Go to Itunes and click restore.

It should work.

9. selfrevo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! 4.2.1 or latest iOS?

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

This is for the latest firmware which Apple is signing now and it is 4.3.1.

11. Clazgar macrumors newbie

I'm having this exact same issue! The phone was working just fine and then I had some graphical glitches and it rebooted a few times and now its all screwed up.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv214/clazgar/IMG00038-20110331-1331.jpg?t=1301593275

And when I attempt a restore it fails while preparing iPhone for restore and I get this glitch on the screen. This is extremely weird, I've never heard of anything like this before. And my issue also happened while traveling. Hmm

I also get the 1600 error even though it is the original 4.3.1 firmware from apple.

12. selfrevo, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

selfrevo thread starter macrumors newbie

What ended up finally working after several hours of trying was;

1. let battery on phone drain so that it goes into recovery (displays itunes connect logo)
    2. install iReb RC4, select iphone model, hold power/home for 10, release power hold home for 10. iReb will set phone into pwned DFU (Black screen).
    3. In your mac/PC hosts file. gs.apple.com should be localhost (127.0.0.1) not the 74.address (saurik)
    4. Run tiny umbrella, set TSS server on (run as administrator)
    5. Open itunes, do phone restore to latest (4.3.1) of course you will lose your baseband and dunno if 4.3.1 is Jailbreakable, but at least phone works!

Good luck all!

I had many different errors in this process, but this was the final result that worked. I cannot explain why iTunes could not restore 4.3.1 without TU, that version is still being signed.. anyways

13. Clazgar macrumors newbie

So close! I got the restore all the way to restoring iPhone firmware... then the phone rebooted. Damn. But you got me this far, ill just keep trying!

14. selfrevo thread starter macrumors newbie

happened to me a bunch of times also. keep track of the itunes errorcodes.
    Also, one forum recommended to just use TU to "kick out of recovery" when the restore exits before 100%, sometimes the restore is actually done but the phone stays in recovery.