[iPhone 4] 64GB is, sadly, NOT HAPPENING. [iPhone 5] 64GB, more likely

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prodo123, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Prodo123, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I went over to MICGadget to check out the "leak" of the 64GB iPhone 4. When I saw it, all of the evidence pointed to a preproduction prototype, not a new developed prototype.
    1. [XXGB] markings means the model is XX GB, which means Apple would have retained the capacity markings. iPhone 4's obviously do not have these markings, but pre-production prototypes such as the Gizmodo leak had this marking. This is not some secret code, just a capacity mark, and the fact that this still has that mark means it was produced before Apple dropped it, which means it was produced BEFORE the iPhone 4 came out in June 2010.
    2. The metal ring and the +/- on the volume rockers were ADDITIONS to the Gizmodo prototype, the fact that MICGadget's iPhone 4 lacks that means it was produced before these were added.
    3. Funnily enough, this prototype uses PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS! Not the PENTALOBE SCREWS.
    4. The baseband is 01.59.00, which is now OUTDATED (iOS 4.1). iOS 4.3 should be running on this prototype if this was a new one, and the baseband for that is 04.10.01.

Finally, the fact that it is identical to Gizmodo's iPhone 4 prototype actually lowers the chance of a 64GB iPhone 4. If it's identical to the Gizmodo prototype, it means the development of the 64GB iPhone 4 has ended, and no further prototypes were made after the June 2010 release.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Never? You mean 32GB is as good as it gets, until...idunno, jPhone? :rolleyes:

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

That's a pretty thin assumption in my mind. It's completely possible it's a new prototype with new internals.

4. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Apple tried to make a 64GB iPhone 4, that's for sure. This is a legit prototype, just not for the iPhone 5 or any new model in speculation. In Apple's eyes, this was probably a failure because it's too expensive to produce and sell at a good price ($400 w/ 2 year contract: YIKES)

5. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Nah, I think Prodo is right even though I'm poking fun at him. There will be a 64GB iPhone and beyond. But there is no reason to believe tonight's leak is anything but a 2010 prototype of a product that was never offered.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Never say never though.;)
    You saw what happened before and now we got a CDMA iphone 4.

7. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'll admit that I think the design language will get an update for the iPhone 5 but the title of the thread states that the 64GB iPhone isn't happening when in all reality it very well could. Apple is already putting 64GB in the iPad so to get the same chips or at least from the same manufacturer gives them a huge economy of scale and would really help with costs.

8. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Read carefully, I never said a 64GB iPhone is never going to come out. I said 64GB iPhone 4 is never going to come out. A 64GB iPhone 5 will definitely come out, with Phil Schiller saying they aim for a cheaper iPhone.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yes it will. eventually. maybe not this year, though I could believe it.

I bet by 2030 there will be (have been) a 64 gb iPhone

10. Mac-Maine macrumors member

Damn do you really need 64gbs on ya phone though? really? lol

do you just like the comfort of having all those gigs are is it something you desperately need?

11. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I did read carefully. You changed your title and backpedaled after I posted this. Of course there's not going to be a 64GB iPhone 4. A toddler could have figured that out.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I've got 20gigs of music on my phone and I could see throwing a bunch of movies on there would need the extra space.

13. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I would need them badly. My iPhone replaces my iPod Classic: instead of selecting playlists I could just sync my whole library on it... after all iPod function consumes so little battery on the iPhone 4!

14. rovex macrumors 65816

Why do people always feel compelled to have their whole music library on an iPhone? Considering you more than likely don't listen to every single song, why not just have a selection of your favorite songs? Will save a tonne of space. Furthermore, you actually watch movies on that puny screen? I'd break my neck having to hold the phone in front of my face for 2 hours just to get a good view. That's essentially why the iPad exists, for video content.

YouTube vids are fine on the iPhone but that's about it. Until a 4 inch+ screen appears I wouldn't ever consider storing movies and tv shows on it. And yes, then 64gigs will be necessary.

15. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

17 GB music, 8 movies, 9GB apps. Yeah, 64GB would be nice :) but iOS 4.3 has AirPlay, so that would reduce my needs by quite bit.

16. JulianL macrumors 65816

Yes. One of the main reasons I went with the iPhone was so I could dump my iPod and only need to carry one device. For me a portable music player only makes sense if I have all my music with me, I never know when I'll hear a random song in a bar or on the radio and have a craving to listen to the whole album. I like to avoid the annoyance of finding that the album I want to listen to is in the 50% of my collection that I couldn't fit on the device. This is especially true when away on holiday.

Right now I've had to break my rule and trim out about 20% of my collection for my 32GB iPhone 4. If the iPhone 5 gets a 64GB variant then that would be a serious temptation for me to upgrade; if it doesn't have a 64GB variant then it's going to have to have some pretty compelling new features otherwise I'd be tempted to skip a generation and wait for the iPhone 6.

- Julian

17. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Whats good for one may not necessarily be good for all. I like to have my entire media collection handy out of convenience. I have over 5700 Songs, and about 25 videos. I may not listen to or watch everything that is in my collection everyday but I like the convenience of having it there if I did want to listen to it. I loved having 64GB on my iPod Touch with 11GB left over and I will love it when they offer it in the iPhone.

18. Krandor macrumors 6502

They may not listen to every single song, but by having more of your library on the phone gives more choice in what to play. Sometimes I am in the mood for one thing and other times something else and do not always know when I sync which I will want to listen to.

If you are fine with 16 or 32, then fine. Some people want more and to each their own.

19. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

umm, so you're saying there won't be a spec bump to the current iPhone 4 in the next 4 months...as if there ever was a spec bump to any iphone between versions? hope you're not a fortune teller by trade.