iPhone 4 8GB $49.95 at Best Buy!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by briceman, May 17, 2012.

1. lilo777 macrumors 603

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree! A two-year old phone with 8GB for $50 is certainly budget-brand :rolleyes:

3. lilo777 macrumors 603

It is indeed strange that Apple sells two (and even three - in case of 3GS) year old phone models when other companies release new models at least once a quarter. For example, nobody sells original Samsung Galaxy S anymore (2 year old).

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Maybe they like to perfect their product and not just rush out a lame upgrade four times a year.

5. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Current high end 4S model - 3.5" screen, dual core processor, no 4G LTE, outdated OS, no microSD. Yep a perfect product. :rolleyes:

6. briceman thread starter macrumors member

I personally think that the iPhone 4 and 4s are absolutely comparable in real-world use to any phone on the market today. I even think the 3GS is pretty usable.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The difference is my 3GS is still being supported by Apple and runs as fast as my coworkers 6 month old Droid. Apple makes a high end product and supports for 2+ years. While as, Samsung and others, make high end phones and support them for a year at most. Personally, I prefer the former as I know my phone will be updated/supported for the life of my wireless contract.

I do agree that the 4S isn't perfect but your argument stinks:

3.5" = Complete Opinion. I want a bigger screen but it's a great quality screen nevertheless

Dual-Core = iOS runs perfectly (smooth/quick) on my 3GS. It's butter on 4S. Not sure you understand software/hardware optimization.

4G LTE = I want 4G but not to sacrifice battery-life. Coworker's Galaxy Nexus can't run last past 5PM with 4G LTE on.

Outdated OS = Elaborate. iOS needs improvements but I wouldn't call it outdated. RIM's 7 OS is outdated.

Micro SD = lol. Clearly, you don't understand Apple. They aren't going to ever add storage to iOS devices. Why? A. It takes up more room internally to have a mechanism for storage reading/removal B. More hardware failures with adding another mechanism C. They clearly make a nice profit charging $100 for doubling it that people are willing to pay.

8. cynics macrumors G3

Three Android phones I've had personal experience with (original droid, nexus s, and galaxy s) that are older then a year old are still getting updates. Not really sure what you are talking about.

If you mean they won't get ICS then I say good. First your right the 3GS runs smooth on IOS 5 unless you compare it too the 4S. Then it feels like total crap.

I'm thankful that ICS isn't dumb down to run on 2 year old devices. It just prevents progress. If my 4S doesnt support iOS 6 because it's a crazy upgrade I won't care as long as iOS 5 still works. Sucks to think iOS isnt what it could be because it has to support the 3GS.

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

The bolded area is the ONLY legit reason you give.

The others, not good reasons at all. It doesnt take up much space at all to add a Microslot. Does this look like it is taking up too much space?

[​IMG]

Profit is the only reason Apple wont give you one.

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

The 4S came out half a year ago. I don't think AT&T even launched their LTE at that point. Why would Apple put out an LTE model when it wouldn't exist on any network but 1 for months? So they can get sued like they did in Australia for the iPad LTE model?
    Dual core iPhone is just as fast or faster than some quad core phones. And last I checked iOS 5.1 came out recently, so I really have no idea what you are going on about.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

$49 is good for someone who couldn't afford one at the $199/$299/$399 prices but this late in the year, I would not pay $49 for an iPhone 4.

I did pay $199 for a 32GB white 3GS two summers ago a few weeks after the 4 was out. My contract on it just expired this month.

12. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Profit or not it's moot. The iPhone will never have an card slot. I don't see the use for one.

Even on my androids I dont have a card slot both my galaxy nexus and one x have enough storage space.

Maybe people should invest in a iPhone with more storage if space is an issue

13. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Well, Verizon had 4G and AT&T had it 3 months later well before Apple's yearly update cycle. The original point was Apple only puts out a phone once a year to make it "perfect". Turns out, the phone is pretty much dated after 3 months with no options than to wait for Apple to release another phone that is most likely dated upon release or a few months after. Multiple Android manufacturers gives you much more options to be current.

14. FSMBP, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Droid 3 by Motorola is less than a year old and is not getting ICS. No matter how you try to spin it, that is crappy.

Also, what good what having the latest and greatest OS if it was only supported one or a small amount of phones (as you said "Sucks to think iOS isnt what it could be because it has to support the 3GS"); developers wouldn't waste time to build apps that take advantage of the latest OS features as only a small minority of users have the latest phone.

Of all the Android people you know, how many are running Ice Cream sandwich? 11/13 of my coworker's have Droids (all purchased *new phones* between June 2011 and August 2011 during our corporate upgrade); only two are able to run ICS. I'd rather have a new "watered down" OS update on my 3GS every year than no support or no features at all. But hey, to each their own.

It's a blend of all reasons. SIM card to MicroSIM doesn't save a lot of space but Apple still did that & that wasn't a monetary reason. At the end of the day, saving space is more room for battery/whatever else. Also, the more mechanisms they have on the phone, the more likely something hardware-wise will fail. I'm not saying they don't allow external storage purely for a engineering stand-point, but clearly that's not the only reason.

Also, you do release the mechanisms for the SIM slot isn't just the size of the SIM card, right? (Same goes for MicroSD slots).

15. cynics macrumors G3

I'm sure we will only to agree to disagree. But ICS is a major update. It's not like iOS has been since it initial release. Old phones won't get it, just like a windows xp machine won't get windows 7 (unless you buy it and in that case there is rooting). Unlike the iPhone if you really had to have ICS there are option to do so with the Droid 3.

Most if not all ICS only apps are native at this point. Just like iOS with Siri on the 4S. But that not a problem? Out of all my friends with iPhones only 4 of 15 (that I can currently think of) have Siri.

And just as many here will claim with Siri they don't really need 'chrome'. But at least there are non root alternatives to Chrome.

Like I said I think we will only agree to disagree but I think we look at this from different perspectives. I got an iPhone 4S with iOS 5, if I get 6 then that's great but my iPhone works great and I don't think I NEED it.

Edit: and I agree if I had an older device I would want a watered down version of ICS. However if I had a newer device I'd be upset if ICS was handicapped due to older devices that already had a perfectly functional OS.

16. FSMBP, May 18, 2012

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I kinda see where you're coming from - but you just contradicted yourself in that last paragragh. Siri is an iOS 5 feature for iPhone 4S. Apple didn't decide not to release Siri for iOS 5 since the 3GS/iPhone 4 couldn't run* it; they didn't not release Siri, they released it only for hardware it thought was adequate (the iPhone 4S).

iOS 5 *maybe* somewhat handicapped but the same goes with every phones/computers. The lastest Samsung Android will be faster than the Galaxy Nexus & it will have more features - therefore, the latest Samsung won't reach it's full potential on ICS (you would get more out of it if Google wrote ICS with that latest Samsung in mind to optimize speed/features to the fullest; this is what Apple does).

It's just the way it is; Google/Apple/Anyone won't waste time to write a OS only catering strictly to the latest/greatest hardware & ignore all other older hardware; this would only make sense if the leap in hardware between generations was so great (which they aren't anymore, they were in the beginning though).

*According to Apple it's hardware issue (ex. I know the 4S has a more advanced audio sensor for the microphone). Personally, I think it runs fine on a iPhone 4 but you can't deny that a extra advanced audio sensor wouldn't help quality for Siri.

17. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

At this point isn't every form of technology dated in 3 months? So for those 3 months the iPhone IS perfect, but like evolution it is then surpassed... only to come back and return to it's glory a year later with it's newest model. Just cause Apple's business model doesn't include supersaturating the market with a new phone every 3 months doesn't mean the iPhone even in it's current form inferior in an way to it's competition, just slightly dated. But honestly we as consumers I feel forget that these companies are businesses and Apple being the powerhouse they are (what are they now the 2nd to Exxon after topping them last year?) I think they know what they are doing in balancing cutting edge and profitability. Just cause "we" want something doesn't mean it works in THEIR best interest.

18. Tones2 macrumors 65816

But Apple's phone's are NOT even current when they are released. Last October, many phones already had 4G LTE and large screen and microSD and much more robust modern OS. THey purposely hold back technology so you buy the next phone. Everyone knows that. This is fine - people make a decision based upon what it is. HOWEVER, the original point was that Apple only releases phones once a year to make sure it's PERFECT. They never are - that's total nonsense. :rolleyes:

19. MrXiro, May 18, 2012

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LTE on the iPhone at that time (which was still in it's infancy) would have given the iPhone terrible battery life on top of the already lessened battery life that people were complaining about. So instead of complaining about Apple's lack of a "perfect" phone at the time you would be complaining of the terrible battery life it has with LTE. This is what I mean by a good balance. They could go bleeding edge like Sony did for the last 10 years and be horribly in the RED and about to lay off 10,000 people or they could give you a "perfect" phone for the current state of things. Let me ask you... what perfect phone (LTE, awesome battery life, super screen, fast as lightening processor, whatever-feature-I'm-missing andi'mignoringmicroSDbecauseitismoot) came out 6 and a half months ago that is STILL awesome/perfect/brilliant/adjective/adjective/adjective today?

and yes I'm ignoring your micro SD comment cause if you think Apple will put a microSD in an iphone/ipod/ipad, then let me introduce you to a company called Apple, cause you must have never met.

Ultimately there is no such thing as "perfect" phone, made by any company. And there never will because the customer is a finicky ******.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Why is this even news? You still need the 2 year deal. Give some cuts on the full price phone, so people don't have to lock in for two years.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Someone will have to explain the allure of buying an "outdated" phone because it's a little bit cheaper. The minimum you're going to pay per month is $60. Over two years, that's $1,440. Go find a refurbished iPhone 4S for $150.

On the flip side of this, I would especially never recommend getting the 3GS now. If you can get a phone with a retina display for another $50 compared to the 3GS, do it. I want to scream to the hills for people to do that with the iPad because it's that much of a difference.

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Because not everybody uses a smartphone to its' full potential. I gave my mother my old 3GS when I got the 4S and she just uses it as a phone, checks her email, browses the web and Skype, one to two apps more and that's it. If the phone had a front camera she says she would not need a more powerful phone since it is way more than enough. I believe 6/10 people don't use their smartphones to its' full potential.

As for the thread:

I saw that someone says iOS is outdated and I say really? I got devices running ICS and for me it clearly was inspired by iOS. In ICS sometimes you need to access the menu or long press for more options, but customization from the start is cool; of course my iOS devices are jb.

On cores: there are brand new android devices that have dual core in the US like the HTC One X. This reminded me of my Blackjack and it's European counterpart that had a front camera and was more powerful. Anyways, the power needed to run something smooth is dependent on the OS hogging resources.

SD slot: not really needed, only when I had my old PDA and my Blackjack that had a small memory they were needed, but not today. It's not like you are going to be carrying a bunch of SD Cards with you everywhere. For that price just get the memory internally, its cheaper.

Size can never be considered + or -, it depends on what the person wants, before smartphones everybody wanted a tiny phone then big then medium and so on... I don't follow the 'hipster' mentality and just get what I believe I need and is best for me.

LTE is the one thing I truly love about new android devices and is just hardware non-related to the OS, the speed is just ridiculous.

23. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Are you seriously buying a new phone every 3 months? I doubt it.

24. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

:rolleyes: Clearly huh? The OS in both are very different and you have to jailbreak yours to come close to being able to do what Android does...and it still isnt really close so i see no way that ICS Android is "clearly" inspired by iOS.

$100 to go from 16gb to 32gb from Apple when i can buy a 32 GB micro card for $32. Hec i can buy three of those to one upgrade from Apple. Sorry, that statement is false.