iPhone 4 A4 runs at 700-800 mhz?, iPod Touch 900Mhz? and iPad full 1GZ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Sep 1, 2010.

1. aneftp macrumors 601

Obviously all of the current models iphone 4, 4th gen ipod touch, and first gen iPad all have the same A4, Samsung Hummingbird 1GZ chip.

My question is what is the actual running clock speed. I know the iPad runs the full 1gz speed. I hear the iPhone 4 runs between 700-800 mhz to conserve battery.

Knowing how apple likes to market the ipod touch as a gaming device, I would assume that the iPod touch probably runs around 900 mhz?

What are your thoughts on this.

2. Branskins macrumors 65816

Doesn't the iPod Touch have significantly longer battery times? And it is a lot slimmer. This leads me to believe that the battery is not as big as the one in the iPhone. From this I would think that the processor is underclocked to below the ~850 the people say the iPhone 4 runs at.

I just cannot imagine it being so much slimmer, having longer battery life, and being at a faster clock speed. Something has to give, and I am willing to bet it is a slower clock speed to prolong the battery life.

Of course I am just speculating :O

3. chickdigger802 macrumors regular

40 hr music playback?

Thats what they said for iphone 4 as well so I don't see where this 'longer battery life' is coming from.

4. doboy macrumors 68000

We can speculate as much as we want, but won't know until the device is actually released, if it's even possible. It seems people don't really know the actual speed of the iPhone 4 even several months after the release. iTouch could have longer battery life because it doesn't have GSM constantly running. Why are you so curious about this already?

5. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

No, it doesn't use Samsung's Hummingbird.

I doubt Apple would clock the touch higher, in such a small case heat would be become a factor and battery life would take a hit. The iphone 4 does games significantly better than any iOS device before it so no need for an upgrade so soon imo.

6. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Wrong The Hummingbird and the A4 chip are the same both manufactered by Samsung both have the same built-in GPU.Both have the same CPU chipset, they are manufactered side by side. Samsung turns the Hummingbird up to 1ghz and apple request that the A4 be turned down to around 800 mhz

7. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

There is also the fact that maintaining and using 3G costs a TON of juice. So by not having that they can theoretically put a smaller battery in and still get better life.

8. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Keep in mind the ipad has less RAM than both itouch and iphone 4

9. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

+1 I hate how people just like to circle jerk each other on this forum

why not just wait for the information, or at least wait for the thing iPod to be released

10. macduke Suspended

macduke

All I know is the iPad only runs about 1-2% faster on the SunSpider Javascript Benchmark than my iPhone 4, probably just due to differences in iOS versions between the two. It also seems like this test is consistent for iPhone 3GS vs iPhone 4, after doing a websearch it's about 25-30% faster, which is about what other tests have shown. Too bad Geekbench only runs on iOS 4.

It is also possible that sometimes the iPhone 4 feels slower because it uses more conservative power management than iPad, since its battery is much smaller. It might downclock and upclock on the fly, only when it really needs to push those extra bits around.

Either way it's fast as all hell. Have you played the Epic Citadel demo that was released yesterday? JAW ON FLOOR FTW.

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I think in previous generations the iPod Touch was typically clocked a bit faster than the equivalent iPhone. However, the CPU has less work to do so that may account for the slight performance bump people would observe (Touch Arcade, etc.) The difference was never nearly as great as the increase in performance from 1 generation to the next.

The reason it can be thinner and have better battery life is that it has less hardware inside (smaller camera, no phone stuff), and it's not powering a cell phone all the time.

12. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Don't think I've ever seen the phrase "circle jerk" used like this :eek:

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Put your iPhone in Airplane Mode and you'll start seeing some really similar times.

That whole "phone network" thing is a bit of a drag on battery life.