iPhone 4 advice and upgrade advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youngsunnz, Apr 13, 2012.

  1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

    Dec 21, 2008
    I have an iPhone 4 32 gb which doesn't work at all now. It has no scratches dents or anything. But it doesn't turn on anymore. I don't know whats going on with it. When it does turn on it turns off automatically at anytime. It doesn't even turn on if I was to plug it into the wall outlet. It only turns on if I was to plug it into my mophie case which I just bought. But when it does turn on it says "activation required" and it makes me go through the steps. But then its back to normal for a couple of hours and then again messes up. I took it to apple already and they confirmed there isn't any exterior damage or interior caused by me, and also they've done the dfu and restore and all that stuff. They said everything on my phone, graphics, camera, battery were failing until they did the dfu, and it should be fine. 5 hours later it does the same exact thing even after they did the dfu mode and confirmed the graphics, battery, etc weren't failing anymore. Anyone have any advice how to fix it? I've tried almost everything and same as apple.

    My phone is about 250 days out of warranty and apple told me they won't do a favor by swapping it even thought its a legit issue and most people come into apple when out of warranty and try to get a free replacement. It'll cost me $150. But a new one from Target store will be about $100 after i trade in my iPhone for a new one. But after the upgrade fee it'll be $130. Both of which I really can't afford but have to figure something out. My biggest thing is I want the new iPhone that comes out after the iPhone 4s which is only about 6 months away. I want to be at least upgrade eligible or subsidiary price eligible. What would you suggest for me to do? Also I will be going to the Apple store again hoping they can do me a favor and do a swap, do you have any advice on how I can convince them? Thank You
  2. jokemjokester macrumors member


    Jan 12, 2009
    pay the $150. it's like getting a new phone for a really cheap. best of all, no contract! wait till the next iPhone announcement.
  3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603


    Jun 30, 2008
    Why? They're going to give the op a 4, not whatever the new one is.
  4. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

    Mar 11, 2012
    The OP then gets to save their upgrade.
  5. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

    Oct 18, 2011
    Well normally Apple should be able to replace you a phone by charging you $149.00, and should not effect your upgrade at all. Not sure why they would refuse to do that. I would try it again and hope that you get a different apple genius.
  6. Sunsean macrumors 6502

    Mar 27, 2012
    They did offer the $150 replacement (I think) but the OP doesn't want/can't afford to pay it. I understand that - not wanting to shell out $ when the new phone you want is only 6 months away. Unfortunately OP - if you can't finagle a free one out of apple, I'd say scrap a bit and do the $150. Really that's the best option - you're not going to find a better deal on a secondhand 32gb iphone 4 anywhere else. I just got myself a 32gb iphone 4 off Craigslist (new apple refurbished model) for $300 and THAT was a great deal. Most used 32gb iphone 4 (at least in NY area) are going for $350-450. Add an extra hundred for the 4s. The apple swap for $150 is the best solution that will give you a good working phone now, and still keep you eligible for the iphone 5 (or whatever it's called) later this year.
  7. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

    Oct 18, 2011
    Yea but even if he pays 150 for it, once replaced, he can use it and when next generation iphone comes out, he can then sell it on CL or ebay, of course not by much but enough to cover that replacement cost.
  8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040


    Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
    Pay the $150 get the replacement and when the new one comes out sell the 4.
  9. Sunsean macrumors 6502

    Mar 27, 2012
  10. andyx3x macrumors 65816

    Mar 1, 2011
    If you do this, you should be able to get at least $250 easy for it in the fall.
  11. lordofthereef macrumors G4


    Nov 29, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I am slightly confused to be honest. The OP can't afford $150 for the repair, but is gunning for the new iPhone, which will likely be $200 full subsidy anyway. What am I missing? As far as I can tell there are two options. Pay for the replacement so that you have a usable phone until the new one launches, or just buy a cheap flip phone (a $10 go phone would work) and ride the contract until the new phone launches. With the second option you can even remove your data plan (however if you currently have unlimited you can't get it back).
  12. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

    Dec 21, 2008
    doing the 150 makes sense, the only reason the new iPhone is an option is because I can probably resell it for a higher price and pay a lower subsidiary price but I don't know if ATT will have a subsidiary price available for me since I'm upgrading and in less than about 6months a new one comes out.
  13. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

    Oct 18, 2011
    Once you upgrade, you have to wait till your next upgrade which is 18 months from the day you upgrade. So save that upgrade and use it when the new one comes out, just pay 150 for the replacement. As we said above, you can always sell the unit on ebay for a profit, it may not be much but it's worth it.

    If you are in U.S, AT&T does unlock iphones to customers who is in good standing and is out of contract, so if you are with AT&T then request an unlock after you replace your phone, you can then sell it for a high value since it's unlocked. However this is if you have AT&T.

    I had to replace my black iphone 4 like many times, I was going to sell it but decided not to, I guess I waited too long, thus the price lowering, but then good thing was I sold the 4 after AT&T begin the process for unlocking. So I unlocked the iPhone 4 and then I sold it. I made $300 bucks, sure I could go for more but being that it is already Apple re manufactured device and I have dropped it and left a dent on the black molding that holds the glass, and scratches. But 300 bucks is worth it for me.
  14. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

    Apr 11, 2010
    Orange County
    I'd probably try another Apple Store if there is one in your area. Based on my experience you might get someone more "lenient" on swapping it.

    If not just like everyone else has suggested, pay for the replacement, save your upgrade, then sell the 4 when you're ready to upgrade

Share This Page