iPhone 4 as a second camera to the 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tek210, Sep 18, 2012.

1. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

Getting the 5 Friday and I am wondering if I can use my 4 as a second video camera? Have been times where a second position would help. Would I be able transfer the video to my 5? Or sync it somehow? Was keeping it as a backup, but it would be cool to get use out of it too.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

There are some apps that do exactly just this. I don't remember what it was called, but I did use my iPhone as a second camera to the iPad.

3. tek210 thread starter macrumors regular

tek210

4. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of ways to transfer video from one iPhone to another. You can use iTunes, or Dropbox, or the iCloud, to name a few.

This would be a very reasonable thing to do.

Regards,
    Tom

5. tek210 thread starter macrumors regular

tek210

But do I pull out the SIM? I have not used an old phone like this in the past. How do I prevent any conflicts with the new 5? Can I just boot up the old phone and start using the camera?

6. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Oh, yeah, that. I'm afraid I don't have first-hand experience, but I do have some level of interest. From everything I've read, the short answer is that your old phone can essentially function like an iPod Touch.

Hopefully someone with real info will chime in. One question I still have, is whether cell phone deactivation will disable the 3G radio while still leaving access to GPS functionality. Otherwise, you'd either have to operate in Airplane mode (where you could at least turn wifi back on), or have the now-useless 3G radio draining battery if you want to use your GPS.

Regards,
    Tom

7. tek210 thread starter macrumors regular

tek210

This is what I am hoping is the case. We shall see on Friday.