iPhone 4 AT&T JB 4.2.1 > 5.0.1 Custom IPSW Mac - redsn0w or PwnageTool?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nanook, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

Welp, time for this tortoise to get somewhat current. My recent research has gotten me thus far, and now I apparently have a decision to make as to which app to create my custom IPSW. I see way more mentions of redsn0w, but I have used PwnageTool in the past, and like the options to include Cydia apps in the image and it also seems to have more options like "Activate" etc. At this point does it matter which app I use?

To make sure I have it correct: redsn0w will "stitch" my saved 5.0.1 blob in to the IPSW file so I can do a simple Opt-restore in iTunes, but if I use PwnageTool, I will have to enter DFU mode to do that restore? But the end result is the same? I have been reading about issues (mobilesubstrate, etc.) some people had with redsn0w as recently as January; have those issues been solved?

TIA!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Use Redsn0w,
    If you have 5.0.1 hashes and APTicket saved, you can restore to it, choose set up as new
    http://bit.ly/GLMkzG

3. Nanook thread starter macrumors regular

Nanook

Thanks for the reply. Your link is instructions to downgrade from 5.1 >5.0.1. Should I infer that I need to restore to official 5.1 first, and then downgrade? I thought I would be able to go straight from 4.2.1 > 5.0.1 with a custom JB IPSW. And why should I use redsn0w over PwnageTool? Just curious.

And setting up as new will not prevent me from restoring everything from an iTunes backup, right?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

No, if you have the required files, it doesn't matter where you start from.

5. Nanook thread starter macrumors regular

Nanook

Thanks again. If anyone would care to answer the unanswered questions I posted, I would be grateful.

Here they are again:

1. To make sure I have it correct: redsn0w will "stitch" my saved 5.0.1 blob in to the IPSW file so I can do a simple Opt-restore in iTunes, but if I use PwnageTool, I will have to enter DFU mode to do that restore?

2. But the end result is the same?

3. I have been reading about issues (mobilesubstrate, etc.) some people had with redsn0w as recently as January; have those issues been solved?

4. Why should I use redsn0w over PwnageTool?

5. Setting up as new will not prevent me from restoring everything from an iTunes backup, right?

Thanks!