Iphone 4 battery is getting worse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajanowitz, Dec 23, 2011.

1. ajanowitz macrumors member

I have upgraded to the new IOS awhile back when it came out, turned off all the items to make the battery last longer. All of a sudden it has started to drain more frequently.

Any thoughts on how to fix this of what has worked?

2. Jamkas macrumors member

How old is the phone?

Try a few full cycle charges. All the way dead and all the way to 100% and leave it on the charger for an extra 30 or so minutes after it has reached 100% so it can perform a 'trickle charge'.

3. ajanowitz thread starter macrumors member

I got it the day it came out on verizon. I put it on the charger every night.

4. Jamkas macrumors member

Can you give me a gauge of time % lost versus amount of time used?

You said you have turned off some things. What were they?

5. iAppleiPhone macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.5.1.23995/26.1305; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

Try a hard reset. It seems to help out the battery life on my Verizon iPhone 4. It seems like after a couple of days an app doesn't completely close and continues to run in the background or something.

6. ajanowitz thread starter macrumors member

I have turned off all the locations services expect find my iphone, turned off all the system services, icloud.

The usage indicator doesn't seem to work as well so i can't get a fair gauge of usage vs standby.

I have done a hard reset and close the apps frequently, and notice the battery will spike up and then come back down. I feel like it stay at 100% longer and they just drops quicker throughout the day.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

What do you mean it doesn't seem to work? Is it showing the same amounts of time for usage and standby?

8. ajanowitz thread starter macrumors member

It actually started to work, sometimes it shows nothing for both of them.

9. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I hate to say this but you shouldn't have to charge cycle your batteries. These are state of the art batteries. Many genius bar workers have told me all you have to do is a calibrate once and that's all. I highly doubt doing more than once does anything at all

James

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I've actaully read that it's NOT so good to fully drain these batteries (till they shut off) frequently. once a month seems OK per Apple... Other than that... ehh...

11. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I Took my iPhone 4 to Apple the other day due to a non-responsive home button and mentioned the sucky battery life. I had this iPhone since the day the 4 came out. The genius ran some diagnostic tests, did a hard reset, reset it as a new iPhone and said that my iPhone is constantly running when it shouldn't be so that's why my battery drains quickly. Might be a hardere or a software problem, but more likely hardware. Also said that the home button can't be resolved and that I am eligible for a new iPhone 4 for $150 or a 4S for $199. I had Apple Care for my 3G, but didnt get it for the 4 (kicks self). I'll try and hold out for the 5 as losing as I can. It's going to be a long, frustrating wait. :(

12. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I Took my iPhone 4 to Apple the other day due to a non-responsive home button and mentioned the sucky battery life. I had this iPhone since the day the 4 came out. The genius ran some diagnostic tests, did a hard reset, reset it as a new iPhone and said that my iPhone is constantly running when it shouldn't be so that's why my battery drains quickly. Might be a hardere or a software problem, but more likely hardware. Also said that the home button can't be resolved and that I am eligible for a new iPhone 4 for $150 or a 4S for $199. I had Apple Care for my 3G, but didnt get it for the 4 (kicks self). I'll try and hold out for the 5 as losing as I can. It's going to be a long, frustrating wait. :(

13. SDNikki macrumors member

Same exact story here. iPhone 4 from release day, home button crapping out, battery life has been terrible, and forgot to get AppleCare before my 1 year was up... A long wait, indeed :(

14. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Pay the $150 and get another working 4.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'd take it to a Genius. You might get lucky. :)