Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
I have had my iPhone 4 since June 23rd and have used a white bumper on it since then as well. I just took off my bumper for the first time to clean the whole phone and noticed a bunch of small black/silver scratch marks on the inside of the bumper.

So I look at the sides of the iPhone 4 and there are tons of small nicks/scratches on the antenna where the bumper covers. Anyone else been using a bumper for a few weeks able to take it off and take a look to see if yours is scratched too?

I'll try to post a pic soon if no one else has this problem..

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
most cases are notoriously bad at trapping in dirt and dust creating abrasive scratches underneath. I don't own a bumper myself, but I'd like to see what happened.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-gb; Dell Streak Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

A friend of mine always insists on those clear plastic cases on his handsets. You can imagine what they look like when he takes them out of the case.

All the pocket grit that accumulates under the case scratches the things like hell. I regularly polish my iPod touch and clean the insides of my case to stop it becoming a problem. Even with the bumper on it's always worth popping it off and cleaning it every now and then.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
I wonder if these scratches associated with the Apple bumper are a result of debris and trying to replicate the death grip with it on? Are the bumpers smooth inside?

Post some pics, I'm curious to see if it is located in a specific location (i.e. volume buttons) or all over. I may use some painters tape around the antenna before I put on mine.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
You're like the fiftieth person to mention this, including me (I made a topic too). I was pissed. I wish I had a skin on before this happened. Permanent marks piss me off.

Pudge957

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
I had this issue on my 3g. You could see tons of hairline scratches all over the silver edges. Is there anything out there that can be put on the antenna part for protection?

coasterider

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Washington, DC
Is your bumper loose? I tightened my bumper up with some tape inside the corners. That may help with sliding and scratching. Also, its steel, you should be able to buff and polish the scratches out, although I'm not too familiar with it, just seems logical. I also use a custom made jacket that has a lining and it cleans the phone, its very nice and adds extra protection without having to put annoying skins on.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
Yep, a few threads on this!

My bumpers ruined the lovely band round the edge of my phone..... I take it off every night to dock the iPhone and it's cleaned inside and out and it still done it.

Really not happy. I'm thinking about returning the phone tbh, then just order another one, my iphone4 is more marked than my 11 month old 3GS which has been kept in an iPod sock.

And i look after my stuff! No point going to apple about it I guess as they'll just say it's me

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
There was another thread on this.

If you put a bumper on you can't see the scratched sides right? :cool:

nednarm

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
U.K
Yep, a few threads on this!

My bumpers ruined the lovely band round the edge of my phone..... I take it off every night to dock the iPhone and it's cleaned inside and out and it still done it.

Really not happy. I'm thinking about returning the phone tbh, then just order another one, my iphone4 is more marked than my 11 month old 3GS which has been kept in an iPod sock.

And i look after my stuff! No point going to apple about it I guess as they'll just say it's me

that's what I was thinking as well, I've now got a zagg invisible shield to cover the entire phone. I really don't like it though, it looks tacky and has a rubbery feel to it. I guess I'll keep it on though as I don't want any scratches on my ip4.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
that's what I was thinking as well, I've now got a zagg invisible shield to cover the entire phone. I really don't like it though, it looks tacky and has a rubbery feel to it. I guess I'll keep it on though as I don't want any scratches on my ip4.

Hmmm, too late for mine reallyas it's already marked up :( I don't like the feel of cases to be honest, don't use my iPad in one unless I'm out and about

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
i went to the coast today with a case on my phone and a bunch of sand got in my pocket and i realized a bunch was trapped between my case and the glass, but it didn't cause a single scratch

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I have a bumper and although I don't like taking it on and off repeatedly, for fear of stretching it out, I have taken it of a couple times and have not noticed any scratches. It may have alot to do with keeping the phone in a pants pocket alone. I always keep it in my left pocket or shirt pocket and make sure there's nothing in there with it. If you carry your phone along with other things or, god forbid, in the pocket of jeans that have fine sand in their pockets (put there by the manufacturer to fade them) then you're screwed.

I have found that the best cases for keeping the dust and grit out from between your phone and case are the TPU cases from Belkin. They cling very tightly to the phone and leave no space for the particles to get trapped. The worst case for this reason is the Griffin Reveal case that alot of people seem to think is the most awesome case to show off their phone. I had one on my 3GS. It lets little particles in around its rim and once their in, because the case doesn't cling to the phone, they scratch the phone. The only scratches i had on my otherwise pristine 3GS were from the Griffin Reveal. Do not buy this case. The only flaw of the Belkin Grip Vue for iP4 is the distortion of the flash which is why I went with the bumper. If only Power Support would release their screen films, I'd be fully protected. They are the best.

ryanbates

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
San Diego, CA
I've noticed scratches on my phone near the vibrate/loud switch because of the bumper. Really bothered me at fist, but what can you do..

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2009
The bumper is poorly designed

It is made of hard plastic and can easily scratch the phone.

duh?

I just put a lining of electrical tape on the inside of the bumper.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Its not the case scratching the phone. The case is plastic and the phone is made out of metal and glass.

Its the crap that gets inside the case (bits of rock/dirt/blood diamonds/whatever) that exert enough pressure when pressed by the case that scratch your phone up.

Use a piece of tape or a soft rubbery case.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I got the iPhone 4 on June 22, one day before "official" release date. I got a Bumper the very next morning. The Bumper has been on my iPhone 4 ever since. I just took off the Bumper to inspect my iPhone and the iPhone looks brand new under the Bumper. Not a single scratch or scuff or any other mark anywhere on the iPhone.

I carry my iPhone 4 (with Bumper) in a holster case I wear on my belt. I NEVER put the iPhone 4 in my pocket. Why? Just turn your pocket inside out and check out the amount of dirt and debris that inside the pocket. Throw an iPhone 4 with Bumper into a pocket and you are begging for pocket grit to get between the Bumper and the iPhone 4.

Mark

keviikev

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
^^^^^
Not everyone wants to sport the holster look. I have had several phone fall doing it this way. I prefer to keep it in my pocket.

Took of my bumper off yesterday since I have not taken it off in a few weeks and I also got some scratching on antenna area and mute switch. My advice would be to get side protectors or take bumper of every few days to clean dirt and debris. I am running IS with white bumper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.