iPhone 4 Bumper scratching the sides/antenna of the phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by CheesePuff, Jul 17, 2010.

1. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

I have had my iPhone 4 since June 23rd and have used a white bumper on it since then as well. I just took off my bumper for the first time to clean the whole phone and noticed a bunch of small black/silver scratch marks on the inside of the bumper.

So I look at the sides of the iPhone 4 and there are tons of small nicks/scratches on the antenna where the bumper covers. Anyone else been using a bumper for a few weeks able to take it off and take a look to see if yours is scratched too?

I'll try to post a pic soon if no one else has this problem..

2. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

You need to make sure that there is no dust in the sides of the bumper before you out it on.

3. anonymous guy macrumors 6502a

most cases are notoriously bad at trapping in dirt and dust creating abrasive scratches underneath. I don't own a bumper myself, but I'd like to see what happened.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Do not use a bumper or case if you want to keep your iPhone scratch-free.

5. CheesePuff thread starter macrumors 6502

The phone was brand new out of the box, along with the bumper and even so I cleaned and wiped down the phone before I placed it on.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Dirt/dust particles can migrate into the bumper while it's on the phone and wreak havoc, and someone mentioned it's not all that tight fitting.

7. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-gb; Dell Streak Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

A friend of mine always insists on those clear plastic cases on his handsets. You can imagine what they look like when he takes them out of the case.

All the pocket grit that accumulates under the case scratches the things like hell. I regularly polish my iPod touch and clean the insides of my case to stop it becoming a problem. Even with the bumper on it's always worth popping it off and cleaning it every now and then.

8. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

I wonder if these scratches associated with the Apple bumper are a result of debris and trying to replicate the death grip with it on? Are the bumpers smooth inside?

Post some pics, I'm curious to see if it is located in a specific location (i.e. volume buttons) or all over. I may use some painters tape around the antenna before I put on mine.

9. pflau macrumors 6502

That's why I use Boryguardz films. Nothing gets underneath the skin.

10. fubar888 macrumors member

I use the Waterfield Suede Jacket (bumpers fit) with my bumpers.
    The combination is pretty awesome and it cleans both the front and back glass everytime you take it out.

http://sfbags.com/products/iphone-cases/suedejacket-iphone.php

I hate screen/body shields/protectors. Dust and lint always get stuck on the edges. More annoying than its worth.

11. amazingdm macrumors 6502

You're like the fiftieth person to mention this, including me (I made a topic too). I was pissed. I wish I had a skin on before this happened. Permanent marks piss me off.

12. Pudge957 macrumors newbie

I had this issue on my 3g. You could see tons of hairline scratches all over the silver edges. Is there anything out there that can be put on the antenna part for protection?

13. coasterider macrumors regular

Is your bumper loose? I tightened my bumper up with some tape inside the corners. That may help with sliding and scratching. Also, its steel, you should be able to buff and polish the scratches out, although I'm not too familiar with it, just seems logical. I also use a custom made jacket that has a lining and it cleans the phone, its very nice and adds extra protection without having to put annoying skins on.

14. neal.young macrumors member

This exact same thing happened to me. I have several light scratches around the volume down button that were caused by applying/removing my bumper case.

15. sparkie1984 macrumors 68020

Yep, a few threads on this!

My bumpers ruined the lovely band round the edge of my phone..... I take it off every night to dock the iPhone and it's cleaned inside and out and it still done it.

Really not happy. I'm thinking about returning the phone tbh, then just order another one, my iphone4 is more marked than my 11 month old 3GS which has been kept in an iPod sock.

And i look after my stuff! No point going to apple about it I guess as they'll just say it's me

16. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

There was another thread on this.

If you put a bumper on you can't see the scratched sides right? :cool:

17. nednarm macrumors 6502

that's what I was thinking as well, I've now got a zagg invisible shield to cover the entire phone. I really don't like it though, it looks tacky and has a rubbery feel to it. I guess I'll keep it on though as I don't want any scratches on my ip4.

18. sparkie1984 macrumors 68020

Hmmm, too late for mine reallyas it's already marked up :( I don't like the feel of cases to be honest, don't use my iPad in one unless I'm out and about

19. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

i went to the coast today with a case on my phone and a bunch of sand got in my pocket and i realized a bunch was trapped between my case and the glass, but it didn't cause a single scratch

20. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I have a bumper and although I don't like taking it on and off repeatedly, for fear of stretching it out, I have taken it of a couple times and have not noticed any scratches. It may have alot to do with keeping the phone in a pants pocket alone. I always keep it in my left pocket or shirt pocket and make sure there's nothing in there with it. If you carry your phone along with other things or, god forbid, in the pocket of jeans that have fine sand in their pockets (put there by the manufacturer to fade them) then you're screwed.

I have found that the best cases for keeping the dust and grit out from between your phone and case are the TPU cases from Belkin. They cling very tightly to the phone and leave no space for the particles to get trapped. The worst case for this reason is the Griffin Reveal case that alot of people seem to think is the most awesome case to show off their phone. I had one on my 3GS. It lets little particles in around its rim and once their in, because the case doesn't cling to the phone, they scratch the phone. The only scratches i had on my otherwise pristine 3GS were from the Griffin Reveal. Do not buy this case. The only flaw of the Belkin Grip Vue for iP4 is the distortion of the flash which is why I went with the bumper. If only Power Support would release their screen films, I'd be fully protected. They are the best.

21. ryanbates macrumors regular

ryanbates

I've noticed scratches on my phone near the vibrate/loud switch because of the bumper. Really bothered me at fist, but what can you do..

22. JimKirk macrumors 6502

The bumper is poorly designed

It is made of hard plastic and can easily scratch the phone.

duh?

I just put a lining of electrical tape on the inside of the bumper.

23. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Its not the case scratching the phone. The case is plastic and the phone is made out of metal and glass.

Its the crap that gets inside the case (bits of rock/dirt/blood diamonds/whatever) that exert enough pressure when pressed by the case that scratch your phone up.

Use a piece of tape or a soft rubbery case.

24. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

I got the iPhone 4 on June 22, one day before "official" release date. I got a Bumper the very next morning. The Bumper has been on my iPhone 4 ever since. I just took off the Bumper to inspect my iPhone and the iPhone looks brand new under the Bumper. Not a single scratch or scuff or any other mark anywhere on the iPhone.

I carry my iPhone 4 (with Bumper) in a holster case I wear on my belt. I NEVER put the iPhone 4 in my pocket. Why? Just turn your pocket inside out and check out the amount of dirt and debris that inside the pocket. Throw an iPhone 4 with Bumper into a pocket and you are begging for pocket grit to get between the Bumper and the iPhone 4.

Mark

25. keviikev macrumors member

^^^^^
    Not everyone wants to sport the holster look. I have had several phone fall doing it this way. I prefer to keep it in my pocket.

Took of my bumper off yesterday since I have not taken it off in a few weeks and I also got some scratching on antenna area and mute switch. My advice would be to get side protectors or take bumper of every few days to clean dirt and debris. I am running IS with white bumper.