Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Hi there MacRumors community!

This time, I need help for my father's iPhone 4. The computer he used to sync his iPhone died with no hope of coming back, and my father needs to download like 15 GB of photos and videos from the camera roll.

I'm afraid to connect his iPhone to another computer to take these out, because it can end up erasing all his songs upon syncing - it happened once, but back then we still had the main computer to do a restore.

Is there a way for me to take out those photos/videos without erasing my father's musics?

I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

P.S. I have both an old Win XP and a 13'' MBP to attempt this (though I'd like to avoid messing up my iPhoto library with his pictures, and he'll need those pictures on his new Windows computer once he buys it).

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Hi there MacRumors community!

This time, I need help for my father's iPhone 4. The computer he used to sync his iPhone died with no hope of coming back, and my father needs to download like 15 GB of photos and videos from the camera roll.

I'm afraid to connect his iPhone to another computer to take these out, because it can end up erasing all his songs upon syncing - it happened once, but back then we still had the main computer to do a restore.

Is there a way for me to take out those photos/videos without erasing my father's musics?

I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

P.S. I have both an old Win XP and a 13'' MBP to attempt this (though I'd like to avoid messing up my iPhoto library with his pictures, and he'll need those pictures on his new Windows computer once he buys it).

Connect the phone to your MBP and use image capture to extract the pics/video. Be sure to use the "save to" option instead of the "iPhoto" option and you'll be set. Once he gets his new machine simply transfer the media over with an external drive or whatnot, you'll be set.

*Also just don't open iTunes to be safe, the phone can't and won't erase anything without direct intervention by you, so just don't touch anything in there when you're transferring the photos :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.