iPhone 4 Car Dock - phone audio out/mic in via the dock connector

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by skagway, Feb 1, 2011.

1. skagway macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

It's a well known problem that the iPhone does NOT output the sound from a phone call via the dock connector audio output. I read about it several years now but since I got my driver licence a few months back, now it affects myself. I want a neat integration of my iPhone 4 in the car, so i decided to built a car kit myself which charges the phone and let me output/input audio. That should all work fine (iPod), except with the phone call audio from the native phone app. Skype/Viber etc. work fine, too! I don't know why apple limited this function but i don't think they will change their mind about it.
    I can't use the headphone in/output because then the mechanic for getting the iphone in/out of the car kit will get much more complicated and i don't like cables hanging around...
    So the only option for me is to get the phone call audio out via the Dock Connector.

The question is what's limiting this function? Is it just a small plist file or is this audio-switching method deeper integrated (ipod out via dock --> phone ringing still via dock --> accept the phone call via inbuilt speakers or headphone jack)?

Who do i contact best? some free cydia developers? I (and I know a lot more people with the same desire) would even pay for it...
    Hope someone can help me a little bit out.

Greetings from Switzerland!
    skagway

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sorry but I'm ADD! Maybe you can shorting it abet. Seriously I didn't get what your looking for.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

I would pay for this as well. I researched this a year ago but found nothing.

I can't imagine this to be difficult.

4. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Only easy option I know of is having a head unit that will bluetooth to your iphone. If you find another option please post it as I have been wondering the same.

5. skagway thread starter macrumors newbie

When you've connected your iPhone via the Dock Connector to a small speaker system (for example), all the audio from your Phone get played back via the speaker system: your songs from the iPod app, the system sounds (incoming message etc.) and also the sound from your skype partner.
    If you are now receiving a phone call, even the ringtone will playback via the speakersystem. But if your accepting the phone call, you will hear the voice from your counterpart via the inbuilt iPhone speakers. You won't get the audio out via the dock connector...
    Got it?

6. endlessbender macrumors newbie

Any luck?

I too would love to have this functionality. Even getting the audio of the phone call out through the dock connector would be desirable. There must be a software solution.

Bottom line, please allow the iphone to output phone call audio through the line out!