iPhone 4 charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmy2469, Apr 11, 2012.

1. jmy2469 macrumors member

Recently,my iPhone 4 has not been charging fully. I plug it into my usb on my 2011 MBP, no charge logo on phone, my phone also does not show up in iTunes when plugged in. I leave the phone plugged into wall overnight,and it charges to about 50%. I just ordered a new cable to see if it might be that. Do you think this may be a battery issue? Thanks for the help.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

pop it into an apple store they wil check it for you for free.

3. RMC Tech macrumors newbie

RMC Tech

Charging Port

Yea, the Apple store should check it for free, depending on your insurance, among other things. They may just apply the fix (probably the charging port needs to be replaced, which is a simple repair).

Hopefully they don't want to sell you an entirely new (refurbed) phone! If it isn't the port, it may be the battery.

But in two years, I've never seen this problem be the battery. It was always the port, or the charger itself.

4. jmy2469 thread starter macrumors member

Just got new cable, phone is charging. Thanks for the info.

5. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Did your previous cable see a lot of bending at either end? I know the way I've had mine hooked up sometimes that the cables would stop working especially the connector to the iPhone hub (I've opened them up before when I've replaced them), the wires inside the insulation are easily frayed apart at that point. USB side always seems fine.

6. jmy2469 thread starter macrumors member

I have had about 8 cables where the insulation would crack and the wires would break. My last one, no cracked insulation,cable looked brand new.