iPhone 4 clicking sound on right of the screen - genius says it's... SOFTWARE ISSUE?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bli625, Jul 5, 2010.

1. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

So my replacement iPhone 4 clicks when I tap the right side of the screen. I took off my Wrapsol to make sure it wasn't the screen protector. After testing my dad's iPhone 4, I realized the screen or back plate of mine must've been loose.

I immediately booked an appointment at the genius bar for tonight. So I go there and wait awhile for a genius to help me. One finally comes and he asks what the problem is. I explain it to him and he holds the phone and starts tapping it. He does hear the clicking sound and then hands it back to me. He says there will be a software fix coming soon. At this point, I was like "wait... what the heck are you talking about? It's a hardware problem" He claimed it was a software issue and told me not to worry about it. Since it was past 9pm at this point, I decided to not escalate this in some stupid way. I'm just going to call Applecare in the morning. Turns out some of these Apple geniuses aren't geniuses at all.

Before someone says the clicking came from the speakers, I'm completely sure they did not.

2. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

the clicking came from the speakers.....haha i kid

but yeah i am kinda glad that i haven't bought one yet due to being stationed in japan, cause all these problems are getting out of hand. I am one of the ones that doesn't really like the whining, but I did go to the local softbank just to see the new iphone and I tried the antenna thing, and it was almost immediate that the signal cut out....but yeah, crazy.

3. xmtgx macrumors regular

4. celticpride678

I just don't believe this story at all.

Apple is way smarter than that.

5. bli625 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bli625

Apple might be smarter than that. The genius might've been in a rush to get out of the store since it was already past 9PM, closing time. Either way, he gave a really stupid answer to my problem.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i believe u idk y they wouldn't, why would he lie. he might just wont your opinion or some advise. I don't care because i cant help but good luck

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It's sad that's the case with at least every other one that you encounter. I've had great geniuses and some terrible "geniuses." It makes me wonder what qualifications and testing they must meet to get the job. It wasn't one of their geniuses but the other day I heard one of their sales reps (no clue what the actual title is) flat out admit to a women that he didn't know what features were new with the phone!

8. alimjr macrumors newbie

I had the same problem!

This happened to me too.

I was watching a movie on my phone, the back started to get pretty warm, and it had seems like the back of the phone was loose. The warmth and looseness was in the area by the sim tray. I checked the sim tray and nothing was loose.

I then called Apple and they were more concerned with the warmth then anything. She advised me to see a Genius. So then I go to my Apple store in Cerritos CA. At the store, the Genius was concerned about the warmth too but did tap on the back as well. I was kind of lucky because it's a new store and this Genius didn't seem to know a thing. At the same time he was really busy. At the end of this story I got my phone replaced.

So I believe the OP on this one. I thought I was the only one to experience this.

9. volta1210 macrumors newbie

I don't know why everyone is hammering this guy just for stating his problem. I too have to same issue, when I tap right below the camera I hear a clicking noise. However after buying the Incipio Feather I kinda forgot about it. I really haven't noticed a problem that goes along with the noise, so in the end I'm fine with it.

10. bli625 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bli625

I see how some people could think of it as a made up story. As long as I know it's not, I'm not really entitled to change others' opinions.

With that said, I hope to get it replaced because I use the area where it clicks.

11. California King macrumors 65816

I have the same issue, but it's right on top of where the sim tray is located...doesn't bother me that much to get it replaced though.

12. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

When I tap on the backside of my phone I can hear it too. I'm pretty sure that it is the buttons moving inside of their respective holes in the stainless band. There is a little bit of slack between the button and the hole it goes in to allow for the operation of the button. If the hole was to tight on the button it would wear the hole faster. I'm guessing the manufacturing tolerances account for some phones having rattling or "clicking" and some not.

13. i-Engineer macrumors member

14. reynaldom macrumors newbie

I've had this problem too on a 3GS and on an iPod Touch. The iPhone was replaced no questions asked but on the touch, AASP wouldn't exchange it.

15. Polo5 macrumors regular

Pics or didnt happen!!! lol

I'm just kidding, but joke aside I hope your issue gets fixed. I'm sure is probably really annoying...

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The auto-focus lens clicks when you tap near it, you could be hearing that.

17. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

This is true, May be that.

OP, Also. If they try to pull that again, Turn the phone off completely and then make it click and ask him, what is it about the software thats not running that makes it do this?

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Is this the screen delaminating/glue issue that has been reported elsewhere?

19. jordand321 macrumors member

I don't think the OP's screen is delaminating, just something loose somewhere.

20. lilo777 macrumors 603

Is it time to start calling those "geniuses" the "Apple idiots" yet?

21. Champagne01 macrumors newbie

clicking on back screen - iPhone4

I have got this issue too - the back screen behind the SIM card tray makes a noticeable click when touched as if the glass is moving slightly / is slightly loose.

I've noticed that it doesn't happen all the time, so perhaps it is a result of the battery heating up? It *seems* to happen more when my iPhone is cool and less when it's hot.

I'm wondering whether or not to try taking my phone back, as it's only 2 wks old.

Does anyone know if Apple gives you new units when you get a replacement?

Normally this kind of thing wouldn't bother me, but I'm getting paranoid that this issue may get worse...

22. bli625 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bli625

They should give you a new unit, just not in retail packaging. I'd take it back today.

23. Champagne01 macrumors newbie

Do you know if they require your receipt etc. for the replacement? Was thinking of running in after work but don't have the paper receipt...

Thanks!

24. sslanchi macrumors regular

sslanchi

Just wanted to chime in to say I have the same issue described by the OP.

My device clicks at the bottom corner. Cant tell where it comes from (front pannel, back, or insides). It gets worse as the device warms up.

Its been driving me crazy, gonna have to take it in..but I hate the Apple store..they always give me a hard time.

25. TheSophist87 macrumors newbie

Click/Pop

I had this same problem today. I noticed that it was right above the sim tray on my 4S so I took the tray out and the clicking stopped. I blew out the sim slot, cleaned the dust from the sim tray, and put the sim card back.

Clicking/Poping gone!

(I still have the faint rattle from camera, but that is par for the course in the 4S)

Hope this helps!