iPhone 4: Collector's POV

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Singapore
I currently hav an iPhone 3GS & I'm hoping to get an iPhone 4. Mainly because it's the first phone that has apple's retina display, which then went on to other devices like the new iPad & the MacBook pro. It's also the first phone that has the metal band around the stricture that is used as the antenna. Plus it's design is also very much improved from the 3GS, which glass on the front & the back.

Who do you guys think? Should I get it?

4wdwrx

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
I currently hav an iPhone 3GS & I'm hoping to get an iPhone 4. Mainly because it's the first phone that has apple's retina display, which then went on to other devices like the new iPad & the MacBook pro. It's also the first phone that has the metal band around the stricture that is used as the antenna. Plus it's design is also very much improved from the 3GS, which glass on the front & the back.

Why, it's old news. Just wait for the 5.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Singapore
Why not take a quantum leap into the future and wait for the iPhone 5 in a few weeks.
Eh I don't think u get my point. I'm not interested in the latest product. I want the iPhone 4 so that 10 years down the road I can tell others that it was the first phone that came with the retina display & stainless steel band. It's all about collecting it

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Then why are you asking our opinions?

Personally, I think a collector would care far more about the first iPhone than the 4th... regardless of what features it offered.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Eh I don't think u get my point. I'm not interested in the latest product. I want the iPhone 4 so that 10 years down the road I can tell others that it was the first phone that came with the retina display & stainless steel band. It's all about collecting it
You could buy the 4 in 10 years from now for under $50 and no contract too.
There are probably over 50 million of those made in the world.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
A collector would have an original iPhone still in the shrinkwrap. Nobody's going to care about a used iPhone 4 in a mere 10 years.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Who knows what the various forms of iPhones will be worth in the future !

People collect coins and postage stamps etc so why not cellphones.

Follow your passion !

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
About 80 million of these have been sold. Never mind that, it isn't even the original model. These most likely won't become collectors items in our life times, so just get the latest and greatest. Hey, the next one will be the first with a 4" screen...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Then why ask us what you think? You seem to have your decision made and your reasons behind it; you don't need further justification. Just go for it and enjoy. One thing to consider though, is waiting a few weeks and then benefitting from the inevitable price drop that will occur.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

If you have the money then get a boxed new one out of contract. As others have pointed out, there are millions of iPhone 4 units, so it's likely that it will not go up much in value.

Even the first iPhone isn't rare, but it's much harder to find in mint condition. A true collector will have every model iPhone. :)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Singapore
Then why ask us what you think? You seem to have your decision made and your reasons behind it; you don't need further justification. Just go for it and enjoy. One thing to consider though, is waiting a few weeks and then benefitting from the inevitable price drop that will occur.
Hmm, then i think i'll wait a few more weeks before the new iphone comes out. Thanks for the advice!

4wdwrx

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Hmm... what would be the point of that? could be a hit with the ladies ;)