Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

detectingproxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
I just returned to the US from another country. I took out that country's sim card, and replaced it with a sim card that works in the US.

To my dismay, about half of my sms contact names in active sms threads have been replaced with a phone number. The people who I messaged while in the US, still show the contact names, and about 1/2 of the people who i messaged abroad still show the contact names in the SMS threads, but then about 1/2 of those people I messaged abroad, have been replaced with their phone number.

I even tried to re-add them in to the phonebook, and those people still show as only a phone number, even though I double verified that they are all in fact in my phone book.

Any ideas?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
That's weird, I always thought contact info was stored on the actual phone on the iPhone, not the sim card.

Have you tried plugging into iTunes and resyncing your contacts?

detectingproxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
found out something

Hey, so I added my overseas sim card back in. And those messages the re-appear with the correct names. But my messages I've sent in this country, then appear as phone numbers only.

Is there a way to correct that? To always leave the contact names showing?

To my knowledge, I'm not storing any of those contact names on the SIM cards.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Hmm. That part about the contact reverting to a phone number even though you added their name into your contact card has thrown me, I havent got any ideas.

Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.