iPhone 4 Cracked just before iPhone 5 launch.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zlh23, Sep 7, 2012.

1. zlh23 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have owned an iPhone 4 since launch day, and used it without a case the whole time without breaking it. Until today. I have been waiting to buy the upcoming iPhone, but now my iPhone 4 has been destroyed and has sharp edges all over the screen. As I see it I have 4 options, and wanted to see peoples opinions on them:

1. Buy a "burner" phone for $20 from ATT and have my number assigned to it until the iPhone 5 launch.

2. Buy an iPhone 4S and use it until the iPhone 5 launch, at which time, return/exchange it to get an iPhone 5, essentially renting it due to the restocking fee.

3. Take it to the genius bar, have it swapped out for $100 (that's what I've been told is the swap price for a cracked screen on an iPhone 4 from friends who have exchanged them without insurance), and sell the 'Like New' condition iPhone 4 on the iPhone 5 Launch.

2. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

iphone 5 is literally a couple weeks away. literally.

3. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Not sure what would be the best option, but I figure you'll lose more money if you swap it. It's $149.99 for the iPhone 4 to be swapped, by the way.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I'd go pay $150 for the replacement, take good care of it and sell in a couple of weeks sell it to one of these websites that buy iPhone's and you should get a pretty good deal. Or sell on Craigslist for even better deal.

5. zlh23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am aware of that, but need a phone in the interim, which is why I am here, asking this question. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with any of my options, i.e. exchanging iP4 for an iP4 actually costs $149, not $100 as I thought.

Thanks,

----------

Thanks for your opinion, do you know which website is best for the sell-back program?

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You can do a search on here to see what others would recommend. but I've seen people mention gazelle.com or amazon.com. The only trick about amazon is they will pay you with an amazon gift card that you can only use there.

EDIT: basic quote from gazelle looks like you'd get your money back. But you should be able to get more on craigslist. http://www.gazelle.com/iphone/iphone-4/at-t/iphone-4-16gb-at-t-unlocked/281904-gpid

7. bit density macrumors 6502

Another Option... Repair...

Find one of those unaffiliated cell stores run where the nerdy guy works behind the counter.

You will find that the glass can be replaced for fairly cheap and fairly quickly (like same day usually).

This will probably work best.

8. repairsuniverse macrumors newbie

Hi,

You may be interested in repairing this yourself. This will be the cheapest option. You can then sell the iPhone as a working phone when you get the new one.

You can see the process how to do this here with these iPhone repair guides

It is fairly quick and a straight forward repair.

You can find the replacement screens here - iPhone screens

Hope this helps and gives you a cheaper alternative.

9. maclook macrumors 65816

As a temporary fix that should last you a week or two, overlay tape on the broken glass. This is what the Genius Bar did for my friend's iPhone when he dropped his iPhone.

Your #2 and #3 options are good though. I wouldn't do #1 since the iPhone 5 is right around the corner.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

11. ARSC macrumors 6502

12. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

It only makes sense to live with a crappy phone before the next iPhone, just think how much you'll love it..

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

my girlfriend smashed her iphone 4 on tuesday. I found a coupon on yelp for a local place called "the tech center" which does iphone color conversions. replaced the front and back glass to pink for $99 with the coupon so atleast we can sell it and she can use it without getting glass in her head for 2 weeks.

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Out of the 3 options you presented, I'd pick option 1. iPhone 5 is just a few weeks away. You'll survive. Brutal, but you can make it! :D

But if you can repair it yourself for a minimal fee, do that.