iPhone 4: Dead Pixel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BahaaZ, Mar 10, 2012.

1. BahaaZ macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi, I noticed today that my iPhone had a white pixel on screen that will not go away. It is very tiny and I saw it during the iPhone boot up process. I was wondering if it was possible to remove it? I am aware of the dead pixel remover applications, but I'm not sure if they would work with my problem.

2. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

I don't know about a fix for the phone's defect, but if the phone is under warranty, Apple should replace it if there is a dead pixel.

3. BahaaZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah it is still under warranty, but at this time I can not go to a Genius Bar. Is there anything I can do, other than sending it away to apple?

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Nope not really anything else you can do but go to the apple store or send it in.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

If it's under warranty, call Applecare and they will send you a replacement unit along with the empty box to send your defective back.

6. BahaaZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Can you give me a link or something to Applecare phone?

7. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

I know you said that it won't go away, but I did realise during iPhone boot up (where most of the screen is black and the Apple logo is in the centre) random white dots appear in the black spaces for a quick period of time, like flashes. My iPad does this as well. If you look closely at your boot screen it does it. Though it's more apparent on first boot (first boot after full iTunes restore). Seems like an iOS issue.

You can try viewing a completely black image to see if you can see the white dot. If so, get it checked by Apple. :D

8. BahaaZ thread starter macrumors newbie

I can see the white dot when looking at a black image. It is really tiny. Do you think a restore may help? I just checked with the Apple care idea one person suggested, and it appears that Apple care will not send a replacement to my country.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

if it's a dead pixel restoring won't help but no harm in trying just to see if it's something else. I would still try contacting Apple there is no harm in doing that. worst case they say no best case they say yes. ;)

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

11. BahaaZ thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think there is. I looked for one, and it appears to be far out of town. I researched more about dead pixels, and it seems Apple does cover defects in screen. They specifically said they replace iPads with at least 3 dead pixels, and iPhones with at least 1 dead pixel. Only problem is, how can I send my phone to Apple? I still have warranty until August 29th 2012

12. BahaaZ thread starter macrumors newbie

I aready went there, contacted support, entered my Hardware serial number, then I selected my Country, Canada, and it does not give an option of them sending a replacement. But in th US, they do. And there is not a store that is near me.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Then I think you're just gonna have to live with it.

14. BahaaZ thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant live with it. I want my phones to be perfect. I have a phone with a defect
    that is covered under Apple's warranty and I can't even use my warranty, even though it is still valid. I think something is wrong here.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Well if you don't live near an apple store then your out of luck. What do you want me to tell you?

16. gco212 macrumors 6502

That's not an option with Apple, unfortunately (one of my biggest gripes with Apple's service policy, in addition to only providing shipping for the first six months of a one year policy on previous iPods). Apple requires you to send in your product, they repair it, and then return it to you (though generally they just send you a refurbished unit anyway). In Canada, though, it seems like even that option is out, which is nonsense.

Anyway, I'd call in, and deal with a technician for fifteen minutes and you'll likely be able to get a mail-in option. If the first tech says no, ask for a manager and state your case. It might be a pain, but I doubt you'll have much of an issue if you really want it fixed.

That all said, I'm not sure that Apple considers a single stuck pixel enough to allow a replacement. It did through the 3GS, but with the high pixel number on the 4 and 4s, they may have made the rule more like the Macbooks and require four or five stuck pixels. That's technically all internal policy, and not something known to the public (the only company that has ever really stuck to the single pixel ideal is Nintendo, I believe).

17. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

I don't believe one dead pixel is a returnable issue. I believe you have to have more than a few before they will replace it. The major thing wrong here is the fact that one pixel bothers you to the point that you "can't take it".

You say you can really only notice that when you have a black screen, how often is that?

18. BahaaZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Well before I called, I tried out one of those stuck pixel remover programs for about 2 hours. The iPhone got hot and the dead pixel was still there after the program finished flashing colors on screen.I powered off the iPhone and called it a day. Today I turned my iPhone and noticed the dead pixel was gone! What a relief! I might call Apple if the dead pixel ever does come back. Thanks for your help and suggestions guys!

19. cynics macrumors G3

I thought the same but I found this.

http://cdn.tipb.com/images/stories//2010/11/apple-display-dead-pixels.jpg

Apparently just one dead pixel on an iPhone is enough to warrant replacement.

20. BahaaZ thread starter macrumors newbie

21. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

Good luck, you may have a fight on your hands.