iPhone 4 - Dead WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by minnus, Jul 15, 2012.

1. minnus macrumors 6502

Greetings MacRumor community -

I am not very well versed in the workings of the iPhone nor IOS, and so I seek your advise.

It seems that one day, my gf's phone permanently lost WiFi. She suspects that it occurred after she updated to iOS5. WiFi is grayed out - the phone literally does not see it - (no MAC addr in the phone's About).

We've already taken it to the Apple store, and they were willing to provide us a refurbed replacement. Sidestory: Since the phone was on a corporate plan, the replacement phone could not be activated - the Genius almost made my GF walk out of the Apple store with an unactivated phone (I was browsing the Apple store up till that point). The Genius was like - oh, you can take care of it later, but lets wipe your old phone...just hit this button here... Long story short (it gets much longer), I stopped the wiping and requested that we keep the old phone till we get permission from the company for activation.

Anyways - I decided that it may be best to see if we can revive it ourselves (since the refurbed looked beatup...)

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? And can anyone point me to an archive of previous iOS versions? I want to try a fresh iOS4 install to see what happens (instead of just restoring from a backup).

Thanks!

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.. but did you check if it's a problem with your router? Did you test the iPhone's wifi with different routers?

These kinds of problems have many variables.. bad router, bad iPhone wifi card... etc.

3. minnus thread starter macrumors 6502

Perfectly acceptable question - I ask 'dumb' / 'obvious' questions myself when troubleshooting computers.

This is not an external issue. The WiFi cannot be activated period. It has been grayed out. If it was a router problem, I would at least be able to scan the area of SSIDs - but the ability to perform such a scan is not even possible (not that there are no results - it is just not possible to perform the scan)

4. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

A grayed out wifi option you say? It sounds really familiar. I think I had that problem once when I had an iPhone 4s.

Generally it's a hardware failure (bad internet chip). Did you try factory restoring the iPhone to see if the wifi option is still greyed out?

*note: a Grey wifi on iPhone is a common hardware problem. Just searching "Greyed out wifi" on google gives you iPhone results! You're not alone~

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Does it just say "No Wi-Fi" next to the Wi-Fi option? If it does, it sounds like your Wi-Fi chip burned out, I have seen this before on a 3G :(

6. almonde macrumors regular

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Also a refrub shouldn't look beat up as they put new batteries and cases on them. They should look brand new, if it really did look beat up, why not just point that out to them, i'm sure they'd fetch another.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

yes you can restore a iphone as new too the current IOS and then install any apps contacts photo's etc. from a backup. A Refurbished/replacement iPhone should look as good as new if not I would have shared those concerns with the Genius. DFU mode would be the best way to restore it too new.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

8. minnus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advise guys - I will definitely speak up about the condition of the phone. Just before I do, I will attempt to reinstall the firmware.