iPhone 4 dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrokeTechLover, Jun 15, 2013.

1. BrokeTechLover macrumors regular

So yesterday out the blue,my iPhone 4 (running iOS 6),lock/power button jammed and is pretty much useless. I went to apple.com and turns out I have until June 29th till my one year warranty runs out,so I know I can get it replaced or fixed for free,especially since it is such a common iphone 4 issue.
    The problem enlies in the fact that If they replace my 4 I know I'll get one with the iOS above 6.1.2,which is the highest iOS jailbreakable. I have 2 months till an upgrade & I'm still struggling with getting a GS3 or a 4S,but was leaning farther towards jailbreaking my 4 and keeping it. But if I lose the ability to jailbreak the GS3 is gonna take the lead for SURE.
    So what I'm asking is for advice. Should I go get it replaced for free? Live with it via assistive touch and figure out what to upgrade to? Or go pay someone to repair it to keep my ability to jailbreak?

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'd suggest getting it replaced by Apple, you might get <6.1.3, but you might not.

And I believe you can jailbreak the iP4 on 6.1.3 http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-6.1.3-with-sn0wbreeze-2.9.14-how-to-tutorial/

3. BrokeTechLover thread starter macrumors regular

4. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Yeah sadly. Maybe save your 6.1.2 blobs, just incase you can downgrade later on.

5. miragebg macrumors 6502a

You suggest him to save his blobs of his old phone and use them on the new one?!? Smart!

6. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Oops, chill out? He can't even use them for anything dude.

And still save them incase you get the button replaced as opposed to the whole phone, or decide against bringing it to the Apple Store.
    Better safe than sorry.

7. miragebg macrumors 6502a

Nobody will replace any part but entire phone at AppleStore. Policy of Apple...

8. BrokeTechLover thread starter macrumors regular

I don't understand why they just won't fix the lock button alone. Though I suppose that would require more employees/training

9. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

What's more important to you, having a fully-working iPhone with stock iOS, or a broken iPhone with a jailbreak?

If you're considering another phone anyway (whether Apple or otherwise is besides the point), having a fully-working iPhone with stock iOS means you can sell/gift it to someone who may not care about jailbreaking. A broken phone is just a broken phone.

It's also not quite clear whether you have a current jailbreak, or are considering a jailbreak in order to avoid 6.1.3. Maybe, after using 6.1.3, you'll decide it's something you can live with.

10. BrokeTechLover thread starter macrumors regular

Well there is another option I listed:: pay for the button to be fixed & keep my current iOS