iPhone 4 Display Looks Better Than 4S?

Lightey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I got my iPhone 4S on launch, upgrading from my old 4, and almost instantly, I noticed a difference in the screen. On the 4S, I can see pixels, whereas on the 4, I could not. A lot of people in my family have the iPhone 4, and when I see their phones, the screen always looks much crisper and easier to read. I'm not sure why this is. Has anyone noticed this, or is there an explanation for it?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
You may have a bad or dingy screen. THe 4S has 3 screen suppliers, one is a dingy yellow, one has a greenish cast to it, and the other a blueish cast. The greenish and blueish look fine, the yellow can look grainier and less clear. Take it in. Swap it out.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
You may have a bad or dingy screen. THe 4S has 3 screen suppliers, one is a dingy yellow, one has a greenish cast to it, and the other a blueish cast. The greenish and blueish look fine, the yellow can look grainier and less clear. Take it in. Swap it out.
[citation needed]

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
So you heard it from your friend's friend's cousin's brother.
Well they all had the same answer so Im guessing its what Apple provides as its answer. Also I've seen the three screen types myself, and had phones with each one. My current phone has the greenish cast, but is very clear and contrasty so I like it. My work 4S has the blueish hue. My original 4S had the yellow hue, got it swapped for the greenish one. I went in for battery issues and they took out 4 other phones, 3 had the greenish cast and one the yellowish cast. So yeah, lots of hands on data to support the Genius' claims.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
it's not inconceivable for Apple to have more than 1 supplier for iPhone screens. It's also not inconceivable to have variation in the quality and hue of each suppliers screens.

Just sayin.
:)

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
....or is there an explanation for it?
You're crazy?

The five apple geniuses Ive talked to independent of each other about screen suppliers
Sense when do the "geniuses" know about part suppliers? Yeah, I'd go find a more credible source of info.

So yeah, lots of hands on data to support the Genius' claims.
Not very scientific. Could of been different displays off the same line just at different times of manufacture. Again, find a more credible source of info (as you and the genius really have no clue)

Just sayin.
:)
They probably do but using the so called apple genius and his own hunch isn't proof, it's speculation.

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Yes, my iPhone 4S has this warmer color temperature, everything looks a bit "yellow" instead of blue-ish. Which I kinda like, cool temperature tend to make my eyes strain so far.

But I can confirm [citation needed but I can't give it, because it's on me eyes, sorry :(] that I can't see the pixels on 4S screen, unless of course I try really hard, which tend to hurt me eyes because I have to look it hard. Me eye lens is not that sharpie, lad.

Last edited:

iz2sick

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
My 4S clearly looks more washed out and contrasty compared to my father in-law's regular 4 which doesn't look as bright and is seemingly sharper.

I heard the whole glue and different manufacturer thing. I've had my 4S for a few months now and the display still looks more washy than the 4. So I don't how much time is needed if the glue theory holds true.

One thing I know for sure is that the practice of using different screen manufacturers for the same product is not a unique practice. I'm a bit techy with TV's and monitors... videophile if you will.

Samsung is notorious for having multiple manufacturers. However, on Samsungs and other brands, there is usually some denotation in the model number that tells you which came from which factory. You won't know the actual factory, just that models with say AD in there are from one factory.

So needless to say, I wouldn't be shocked if Apple switched up manufacturers for the 4S.

In the end, it is still hands-down the sharpest display on the market.

iz2sick

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Not really, HTC Rezound and Xperia S has higher PPI than 4/4s (342ppi vs 326ppi of Iphone). They also have much bigger screen.
Ah, thanks for the info. I'm apparently out-of-date with my tech. I'd like to see this screen!

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Although my iPhone 4s has a warmer screen, It has grown on me and I think I prefer it over my iPhone 4 screen. Crazy! You do see more detail in some things like icons over the cooler screens