iPhone 4 Display Looks Better Than 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lightey, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Lightey macrumors regular

I got my iPhone 4S on launch, upgrading from my old 4, and almost instantly, I noticed a difference in the screen. On the 4S, I can see pixels, whereas on the 4, I could not. A lot of people in my family have the iPhone 4, and when I see their phones, the screen always looks much crisper and easier to read. I'm not sure why this is. Has anyone noticed this, or is there an explanation for it?

2. noobinator macrumors 601

I have one of each side by side right now and see no difference.

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

You may have a bad or dingy screen. THe 4S has 3 screen suppliers, one is a dingy yellow, one has a greenish cast to it, and the other a blueish cast. The greenish and blueish look fine, the yellow can look grainier and less clear. Take it in. Swap it out.

4. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

[citation needed]

5. upbraid macrumors member

maybe defective screen? they look the same to me.

6. kre62 macrumors 68000

The five apple geniuses Ive talked to independent of each other about screen suppliers

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

So you heard it from your friend's friend's cousin's brother.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

MLA or APA format?

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

Well they all had the same answer so Im guessing its what Apple provides as its answer. Also I've seen the three screen types myself, and had phones with each one. My current phone has the greenish cast, but is very clear and contrasty so I like it. My work 4S has the blueish hue. My original 4S had the yellow hue, got it swapped for the greenish one. I went in for battery issues and they took out 4 other phones, 3 had the greenish cast and one the yellowish cast. So yeah, lots of hands on data to support the Genius' claims.

11. pat park macrumors 6502a

it's not inconceivable for Apple to have more than 1 supplier for iPhone screens. It's also not inconceivable to have variation in the quality and hue of each suppliers screens.

Just sayin.
    :)

12. DroidRules, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

You're crazy?

Sense when do the "geniuses" know about part suppliers? Yeah, I'd go find a more credible source of info.

Not very scientific. Could of been different displays off the same line just at different times of manufacture. Again, find a more credible source of info (as you and the genius really have no clue)

They probably do but using the so called apple genius and his own hunch isn't proof, it's speculation.

13. iSayuSay, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yes, my iPhone 4S has this warmer color temperature, everything looks a bit "yellow" instead of blue-ish. Which I kinda like, cool temperature tend to make my eyes strain so far.

But I can confirm [citation needed but I can't give it, because it's on me eyes, sorry :(] that I can't see the pixels on 4S screen, unless of course I try really hard, which tend to hurt me eyes because I have to look it hard. Me eye lens is not that sharpie, lad.

14. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

You sure you don't have a AG screen protector?

Also, my 4S used to have a warm screen temp but I changed it thanks to the jailbreak.

15. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

My 4S clearly looks more washed out and contrasty compared to my father in-law's regular 4 which doesn't look as bright and is seemingly sharper.

I heard the whole glue and different manufacturer thing. I've had my 4S for a few months now and the display still looks more washy than the 4. So I don't how much time is needed if the glue theory holds true.

One thing I know for sure is that the practice of using different screen manufacturers for the same product is not a unique practice. I'm a bit techy with TV's and monitors... videophile if you will.

Samsung is notorious for having multiple manufacturers. However, on Samsungs and other brands, there is usually some denotation in the model number that tells you which came from which factory. You won't know the actual factory, just that models with say AD in there are from one factory.

So needless to say, I wouldn't be shocked if Apple switched up manufacturers for the 4S.

In the end, it is still hands-down the sharpest display on the market.

16. silversun macrumors newbie

silversun

Not really, HTC Rezound and Xperia S has higher PPI than 4/4s (342ppi vs 326ppi of Iphone). They also have much bigger screen.

17. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

My 4S is warmer compared to my iPhone 4 also. The 4 screen looks much brighter. (cooler)

18. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

My wife has my old 4 and I do prefer the screen on it compared to my 4S.

19. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Ah, thanks for the info. I'm apparently out-of-date with my tech. I'd like to see this screen!

20. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Although my iPhone 4s has a warmer screen, It has grown on me and I think I prefer it over my iPhone 4 screen. Crazy! You do see more detail in some things like icons over the cooler screens

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020