iPhone 4 double vibration when a text message is received?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jake4ever, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jake4ever macrumors regular

My apologies if this has been posted before, but I receive text messages a lot, and my iPhone 4 running 4.3 double vibrates when I get a text. Instead of one long vibration (1-2 seconds) it seems to be 2 short vibrations (~0.5 seconds each) I hate this. Does anyone else have this problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its a "feature" of iOS 4.3+.

Use the search function next time, there are many other threads about this.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

your phone is broken. i suggest giving apple a call so they can help you resolve this issue.

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

umm, if you're trying to be funny, try again. if you genuinely think the phone is broken, you have some reading to do on the 4.3 feature list.

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Um, no.

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Just a new feature that helps to distinguish a text from an e-mail. If you use the vibrate function you're stuck with it.

7. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

wow you guys need to learn what sarcasm is

8. celticpride678

It's a feature of iOS 4.3. I think Apple added it because it allows you to differentiate between a notification or email vs. text message when the phone is in your pocket.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

well played sarcasm and bald faced misinformation are quite different entities.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

And near impossible to tell apart in a text only communication system.

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

serves op right. next time he/she should search.

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Boy you really got 'em good! You win the Internet today!

13. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Yeah I agree with you. I wish there was a way to change this. I get texts every 2-4 minutes basically all day. But luckily, after a little while you start to get used to it. Now I can tell the difference between a text and facebook/email. I wish Apple would let us choose if we want this feature :/

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I'm really hoping iOS 5 brings us some customization options for our notifications. For example, I'd love it if I could set it so a text from a certain contact rings louder, or vibrates 3 times, or what have you. I really miss being able to do this with my old blackberry.

As it stands right now, I feel the text vibration go off only about 50% of the time while I'm at work. It needs to be a little more powerful.

15. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I don't know if I agree with the more 'powerful' vibration. I always hated that when a blackberry vibrated it felt and sounded like it was going to explode. When the vibration is loud enough that it's almost like hearing a sound, it defeats the whole purpose of putting it on vibrate in my eyes. So many times I would hear a co-workers phone go off (on vibrate) and the whole room would turn and look at him.

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

well, yeah I don't need a jackhammer in my pocket. But the current vibration is barely noticeable if I am at work with my phone in my pocket. Maybe my clothes aren't tight enough.

17. jake4ever thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with the jackhammer statement. I used to own a RAZR and it vibrated like heck for some reason. But I walk everywhere (where I live, you don't need a car) and I can never feel it vibrating.

18. walds11 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to bump this thread, but why don't incoming texts vibrate twice when not in the Messages app (we all know they vibrate when in the app)? It should be consistent like incoming emails, they vibrate once whether inside or outside the Email app.