iphone 4 feels like luxury after using 5..refunding I think

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lowlypeace, Oct 6, 2012.

1. lowlypeace macrumors member

mine came with a small nick out of the box on the black edge, but it was behind, so I could live with that, then noticed in the last few days the glass seems to be loose on the front, when its pushed on the top right corner it moves and creates a suction sound, which was more annoying and I thought could get worse. So decided to return it as this is a definite fault.

try it yourself, push different areas of the screen and pull your finger off quick and listen to see if it makes a noise.

Anyway I have the option now for full refund, or replacement in black or white, as the earphone warehouse in the uk says they have a set aside stock for replacements, even though there are weeks delays to buy new.

I am deciding I think for a refund though as I don't think the improvements are worth the unlocked price and I could do a lot more with the money.

some of the things I liked about the 5 - slightly louder speaker, better base, wider screen, lighter

some things I didn't like - sharp feeling in hand, still felt slightly too small for gaming, would be perfect maybe 3 millimetres wider - which will probably be iPhone 6 or 7's change, the clacky stiff home button and volume buttons.
    trying to take a pic with the volume was hard now as the amount of pressure meant the phone would move

- ------

when i went back to using the iPhone 4 it felt like a luxury device in comparison,
    the feel of the buttons is a big thing, the 4 home button is not "spongey" in my view, it is perfectly sprung to allow a quick double press, whereas the 5 is annoying and loud. 4 also feels better to hold for gaming I think, and more comfortable naked, not as sharp.

5 visually looks amazing, in fact its probably what I would design if I was choosing how cool to make it look, but in practice it doesn't feel very nice, and the buttons are terrible in my view.

Maybe if the round the edges more and put the spring motion or tension from the 4 onto the next one, then you are talking about a class device.

--------

The wider screen is an improvement indeed, better for movies, games and browsing, not it can almost be used comfortably as a browser, however in the end I think I will go with the refund and use the money better elsewhere, as its not worth that amount of money for half an inch wider screen and slightly louder speaker.

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I think you just mentioned the real reason you want go back with the 4. The money!. You want to spend the money on other things so you are trying to justify going back to the 4. The 5 is the much better phone no matter how you look at it. It's much faster, has a much bigger and better screen, better cameras, better speakers and microphones and so on. I have no issue if you want to go back to the 4 but say its because of the money instead of trying to knock down the 5. I am sure if money wasn't an issue you would keep the 5. If you have an issue get a replacement. I had a faulty 5 and got a replacement from Apple and now everything is perfect.

3. lowlypeace thread starter macrumors member

I think if it wasn't for the issues i mentioned above, I would have kept it, or got a replacement, and then sold the 4 on ebay.

don't you find the volume buttons hard to press? and the home button too loud and clicky?

anyway, apart from that, and the sharp feel - it is definitely improved in terms of screen and speakers

i might order the new ear pods, they were good

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

5. tl01 macrumors 65816

I much prefer the home button click and the volume buttons too. Part of me thinks they are more firm when new and become more squishy over time anyway... But I wish they would stay this way.

6. lowlypeace thread starter macrumors member

I sent it back earlier today, now have the choice of a replacement in white or black or a refund, but think I will refund and just stick with the 4 for now

I have a galaxy note also, which would be good but I think the android os is terrible with the occasional lag and the design thats like something from the 70's

if apple would allow a couple of widgets and a box to transfer any type of file drag and drop between computers I think it would be the perfect mobile os

7. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

:confused:
    [​IMG]

8. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I understand your love for your iPhone 4 because I love mine, too. It looks great & works perfectly. However, I upgraded to iPhone 5 with the specific intent to pass my iPhone 4 on to my son, who is using my iPhone 3Gs, which also works perfectly but lacks some features that I think my son will find useful. My new iPhone 5 is pretty great, too. :D

If you really want to keep your iPhone 4, it's OK. :) Make the best decision for you.

9. apierrec macrumors 6502

IP4 is great (have it, giving it to my sister), but iP5 is the ultimate & dream come true gadget for me.

iPhone 5 is my favorite gadget of all-time!

10. PAC88 macrumors 6502

Here's a way to look at it

iPhone4/s is the Mercedes. iP5 is the BMW, a little more athletic but less refined.

11. waa1futs macrumors 6502

I didnt keep the 5 because LTE is spotty, apps are still letterboxed, scuff marks galore, and no jailbreak available. I'll simply wait for the 5s when these things are fixed.

12. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

That just makes so little sense. LTE networks are still being built out so of course the coverage isn't going to be as good yet. Apps are getting updated everyday, don't know how fast you expect it to be. From what I have installed it's almost a daily occurance. It's a phone, it's going to get scuff marks. Problems out of the box are unexcusable but over time it's going to happen. It's a new OS so it will take a bit to be jailbroken. The exact same thing will happen OS 7 and the 5S. If you don't like the phone that's fine. Not a single thing you listed is a problem with the phone other than scuffmarks which any other phone on the market will get as well.

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

i call join date - (i know you have to join sometime - but ill stick my neck out and call - TROLL)

14. kevin222 macrumors member

My home button is not clicky at all; it's incredibly quiet compared to the one on my 4S. I really think it depends on what phone you get/line they came from. Apple definitely should do a little better to get more uniformity across their phones though...

15. apprunner macrumors regular

I don't understand how people can go back to the 4. I still have it to use as an iPod and it feels like an Apple IIe compared to how fast the 5 is. It's a dinosaur. My 4S BARELY feels adequate now... iPhone 5 is crazy crazy fast and LTE blows HSPA out of the water.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm going back to the 3G. I want the retro look.

18. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

Reading your post it sound like you were talking about a different phone all together. Sorry you got a bad iPhone 5, mine is perfect n I don't have a loud home button if anything it's so quiet sometimes I'm not even sure I'm pressing it. If u want to return your phone do it n don't explain why or apologize for doing so.

Before the iPhone came out everyone I know that got a new cell phone if they didn't like it would return it before the 30 days n try a new phone. Don't get why everyone feels the need to bash or complain about a phone if it can't so what u want, just return it that why we got thousands of cell phone options.

19. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I agree with this 100%.

20. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Hell Yeah.

My white 3G is a chick magnet.

21. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I didn't even read all of your post but send me your dealers name if you honestly think the iPhone 4 is better than the 5.

22. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Bull...loney excuses.

* LTE is spotty on 5, but non-existent on 4. Excuse fail.
    * Apps are still letterboxed. Um, this will change soon as developers catch up. DUH! Excuse fail.
    * No jailbreak available. Which also will change very soon, I'm sure. Yet another excuse fail.

:eek:

23. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Same situation except I have a younger brother, not a son :)

It's all about personal preference and I can see where the OP is coming from especially since the money can be used elsewhere and the 4 is still a nice phone. I miss the 4 because I dropped it so many times on concrete with only a few shallow dents. I don't feel I could do the same with a 5. That's why I'll probably not go naked for this phone.

Personally I can't go back after experiencing the iPhone 5's speed, UI-wise and LTE-wise. The screen could have used some extra width but the height is like a breath of fresh air especially in the messages app.

24. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

You do know the screen isn't wider, right? Haha I do agree with you to a certain extent though- if you consider the heftiness of the iPhone 4 to be a good feature of it, then yeah, the 5 doesn't feel as good.

25. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

That seems backwards to me i4 I wayyyy to heavy