iPhone 4 - Flash lights up but photo comes out black, but is still there somewhere

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BenjipNZ, Aug 13, 2010.

1. BenjipNZ macrumors newbie

I'm having a really bizarre issue with my iPhone 4. I take a photo in the dark, the flash activates as normal, and I see the correct photo for a second or two before it 'moves' to the little thumbnail in the bottom left when it suddenly becomes 'flash-less' and is pretty much just a black square.

This doesn't happen with every photo, which is kinda strange.

Anyone else had something similar? It's as if it stores the correct photo momentarily but then replaces it with the non-flash version.

Happens with Flash 'on' and 'Auto'.

2. kiantech macrumors regular

hmmm thats strange...a good test would to use a different app to take a picture with the flash, maybe camera+ or something free. Use the flash and take a pic in the dark. There is always restoring. Sounds like a software issue.

3. Vorpal Blade macrumors newbie

Yea, mine has started doing this too. It's like the first picture in a series turns out black but the rest come out fine. Then I close the camera and start a new series and one of them, usually the first one, is black. Like you said, I can see the pic fine at the time of taking it but when I check it on the camera roll it's blacked out.

4. krizZz macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 has just arrived yesterday and after setup and restore content from my old 3G to it I played around with these new features like the build in flashlight. Auto or on same problem here: without flash the pictures are perfect - with flash it takes just black images when objects are closer and the more distance to the object the better is the picture. But in no case the flashlight picture is better or equal to the picture with no flash.

It seems to me that this is a software bug of iOS 4.?.?. Hope Apple is aware of this issue?!

Anybody solved this?

5. krizZz macrumors newbie

Update:

I just called Apple Care today. Unfortunately they have never heard of this issue bevor. After reinstalling the OS again - what didn't solve the problem - and explaining some details of the iPhone's behavior when talking flashlight-pictures Apple Care told me they would like to change the iPhone.

I will wait until tomorrow (Apple's Media Event) and hope Apple will release iOS 4.1 - maybe it will be solved by an iOS Update. If not - the iPhone will be exchanged.

6. ClubPhil macrumors newbie

Have you taken the plastic off the back of your phone?

Have you taken the plastic off the back of your phone?! We made that mistake! A bit embarassing I know...:mad:... but we've got over it now that the pictures are wicked!!! :)