iPhone 4 = Great Macro Photos ... Impressed!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dredd15, Aug 30, 2010.

1. dredd15 macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2010
    Hi all.

I'm a saltwater aquarium hobbyist, and I enjoy taking macro (closeup) shots of my saltwater creatures. With my cheap-o $7 tripod that I found on eBay (link) I can take decent macros.

Here is one I shot today of my Harlequin Shrimp pair ... eating a starfish.

2. iTiki macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2007
    Maui, Hawaii
    Impressive. Nice shot regardless of the camera used, especially for a camera phone.
  3. Lola M macrumors member

Aug 11, 2008
    California, USA
    This is great! Thanks for sharing. You successfully added more anticipation to my torturous waiting game for white iPhone 4.
  4. lens42 macrumors newbie

May 26, 2009
  5. nexxusdev Guest

Nov 6, 2011
    Wow, thats pretty damn awesome! Atleast better then getting the olloclip which is too ex for me :D Thanks
  6. moargolems macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2011
  7. psonice macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2005
    Wow, that's cool!

I have an olloclip, which is really good - but probably not suitable for say the fish picture above. It's *very* macro, you only get focus within maybe 1cm of the lens. Brilliant for super-closeups, but I suspect that nice fish picture would be a huge blur. There's a bunch of my olloclip macro shots here for an idea of what it's like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58220292@N04/sets/72157628018903216/

Speaking of that fish photo - have you tried a bit of white balance adjustment? Underwater photos tend to come up a bit 'blue' because of the way the water affects the light, but from what I've heard they come out really well with a little adjustment.