iPhone 4 has ended my Apple love affair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ecopod, Sep 7, 2012.

1. ecopod macrumors member

There is no easy way to say this but I'm considering ditching my iPhone in favour of a BB or even something else not running IOS.

Before going on holiday I was getting fed up with the iTunes match/icloud issues re some tunes playing some not/some being original some not (cleaned up) but vouched to sort it out when I got home. However whilst on holiday my phone suffered the home button no longer working problem. Every time I needed to change application I had to shut off and restart, not good. Having now researched the issue I have come to the conclusion I may need to move away from the iPhone line based on following.

- apps etc are lovely but I need the basic functions to work reliably
    - £400 for something that lasts 14 months is not good value for money
    - my G/F's basis HTC works flawlessly at all times
    - Apple want circa £150 to replace
    - Apple will give me nothing towards an upgrade (not surprised)
    - If I buy iPhone 5 I'll need new dock etc in any case (my own fault as don't like adapters etc)

I also have the horrid late 06 imac freeze up almost daily so need a new computer also, worried Apple's quality standards have dropped way below what they once were so may as well move lock, stock and barrel to something else. I'll keep ATV's as they run Plex which I can get from any computer these days.

Nothing more than a whinge really as G/F isn't interested and keeps sending me texts just to show how good her 'free' phone is.

2. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Good luck with your new Android and th 6 week repair window when it Breaks
    and full cost out of warranty replacements

Electronics break no mater who makes them the difference is the support you recieve. apple will replace your currents it of warranty IPhone 4 for $150
    That's an amazing offer for a Out of warranty phone. You can always sell it for at least $200 down the road so your out of pocket for replacement will be $0

Next time when you get a new Iohone get the Apple care plus extended warranty with accidental damage protection.

3. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

how much is apple care plus extended warranty?

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

So your 2-year old iPhone is worn out and your 6-year-old computer has issues,a nd in your mind this means Apple's QC has dropped the ball? Good luck out there, but I think you're in for a rude awakening.

5. Gaokaos macrumors newbie

I have to agree that the quality of the home button could be better. For such an high end device with only one main button, it shouldn't fail. I know some failures are always inevitable but the problem with the home button on the iPhone 4 seems much to prevalent in my opinion. I have had the luck that my iPhone 4 with failing home button was changed for a new one after 20 months (thank god for EU 24 month warranty thats followed by most stores in Belgium), but otherwise I really would feel gutted. I'm not yet thinking about stepping away from the iPhone, but the only button on a 600 euro device failing within 20 months is just downright unacceptable quality for me.

6. tann macrumors 68000

Threads like these are stupid, so you had one issue but doesn't mean you have to go start a thread about why that's causing you to move phones?!

Honestly you could have cut out everything you said and moaned in a thread that already exists for people who's home buttons stopped working.

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

No easy way to say it?

You're not happy with your phone, you're not telling somebody their mum died.

Get a phone that works for you and worry about real problems.

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

From what I've heard, the iPhone 4S has a much better home button that is also more reliable and a big improvement over the one on the iPhone 4, and so far that seems to be true, as my sisters home button on her 4S works just as it did on day 1. And based on the rumors the iPhone 5 is supposed to have an even more reliable/sturdy home button than the 4S.

$150 for your out of warranty iPhone 4 is a great deal considering that if you had an Android phone you'd have to pay full price for a new one.

I'd suggest getting the iPhone 5 and getting the AppleCare warranty to extend the warranty to 3 years, and if you want you can get AppleCare+ which offers even more protection.

The fact that your computer is 6 years old and is just now having problems is a testament to how well built Apple computers are. 6 years is a long time, especially for technology. Saying that Apple's quality control is going down based on an iPhone 4's faulty home button and your 6 year old computer breaking is just incorrect. The iPhone 4 was known to have a faulty home button, but was fixed with the 4S.

To the others in this thread, there's no reason to be so rude to the OP for his decision; he's just frustrated with the issues he's having. There's no need to attack him... Even if his reasons are kind of dumb (sorry OP, no offense meant).

9. CallOfDuty, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

So you mean the iPhone 4 has no basic functions? Please specify what do you mean by 'Basic functions'. The iPhone 4 can certainly make great calls, send text messages, take great pictures, set the alarm etc.

Its up to whether you have bad luck or not , whether you handle your devices well. From the looks of it, its either that you were out of luck and got a malfunctional 4 or either you simply abused your iPhone. My iPhone 4 is still working great when I first bought it during the Verizon Launch (A few months more than a year) and I didn't even have a case on it.

This is what I don't understand. Why would you even look at your GF's phone and how 'flawlessly' it works? We all get different emotions from our phones. Perhaps if you get the same HTC your girlfriend has you will realise its actually worse. Don't get what others thinks it works for them.

You better be glad that Apple is at least willing to replace your entire iPhone for you for a mere 150 euros, not asking you to buy a new one. Not many companies offer this service. This type of service is almost as good and equivalent to companies giving you a new one when you spoil yours. The 150 euros basically serves as a punishment for your foolishness/clumsiness/carelessness that caused the damage.

I don't understand this. So you mean that Apple should give you reasons why you should upgrade to the new iPhones? Should Apple give you a discount for the new iPhone just because you think you deserved it? If thats the case I deserved it more than you, because I owned almost all products from their product line, mainly the mac line, the iPhone, iPod and iPad line. Not to mention an Apple TV. Argh.
    Or maybe you meant that the iPhone 5 was not good enough for you to upgrade. This is of course subjective to different people, and I won't blame you for that.

This was actually a dealbreaker for you? I wasnt for me considering i own like 3 docks for my iPod, iPhone and iPad. I feel that this shouldn't be a reason for you not to consider the iPhone 5.

You can't blame the entire iOS software just because your iPhone 4's home button died... this is ridiculous. Yes, I do admit, my iPhone 4 isn't on par with the performance (The UI is simply not fluid on the iPhone 4- software problems), but did I ditch my iPad and my iPod? No.

And I think you shouldn't own the iPhone in the first place. You should have went to those cheap smartphones where it 'truly fulfils your needs'. You shouldn't get a high-end smartphone because it 'simply does not have the basic functions :)confused::confused:)'

Regarding your mac. Its a freaking 6 year old mac with an intel core 2 duo processor and a 128MB graphics chip ! Do you expect it to operate flawlessly now? No, hardware gets 'rusty' and deteriorates over time, get over it!

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I got the home button problem on my iPhone 4 too, but I figure, hey, it's almost 2 years old, **** happens. Although my HTC Sensation obviously isn't susceptible to that problem because it has touch buttons, those have their own faults, mainly that they're easy to accidentally press when you're typing.

If I were you I'd do what I'm doing and use this as a good excuse to upgrade to the iPhone 5, that 4 should still be worth a bit on eBay :)

11. ARSC macrumors 6502

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Okaaay. What do you want from this board? A collective...oooh please don't go? Buy what makes you happy. Clearly the iPhone doesn't. No big.

13. stickyfingers85 macrumors regular

If its broken after only 14 months its still covered under European Law, which is up to 2 years, so there shouldn't be an issue with getting it replaced.

14. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

Every time someone on this board doesn't speak of their iPhone as its the greatest piece of electronics to ever exist, they are attacked by the fan-boys who can't see the forest through the trees.

You fan-boys don't like what he has to say but there is a lot of truth in it. Apple's quality has suffered lately. Also the iPhone 4 while breaking sales records, also sucked. And I say that as a guy who has one and uses it everyday. From antenna gate to the home button its hasnt lasted very well, and it shouldn't be asking too much to have a phone which costs $500-600 unsubsidized last 2 years. It says a lot when consumer reports doesn't recommend it.

I'm eagerly waiting iPhone 5, but anyone considering buying a new phone right now should steer clear of iPhone 4.

15. AFDoc, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

AFDoc macrumors 68030

I'm a fanboy because I don't give a crap what phone this guy uses? Ok, I guess I'm a fanboy.

You also lost all credibility when you said CR. They have been proven a fraud that fabricates results. Simply google CR and Suzuki Samurai. PLUS you saying the i4 sucks is completely your opinion. I have never had issues with my i4 and neither have millions of other useres. I still have 2 in my houshold that get used daily that are still issue free.

16. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Just noticed this...

Let us know how you get on with that super-reliable BlackBerry, because they never go wrong ;)

17. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

second that
    M
    :apple:

18. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

This is the first time you've posted in this thread, I dont know why you are so insulted by my comments. You are right, this is my opinion and i'm free to give it.

I trust CR reviews as do millions of others. Even that said, I bought an iPhone4 when CR said not to, and CR was dead on in their review in my opinion. You can love your iPhone 4, thats fine. I did at first too, then over time it has just fallen apart.

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Pot calling kettle black?. You come off like a fanboy of some brand/product yourself.

Just speaking for my own comment to OP, I could not care less what phone he uses, but why come and whine about it. It's needy whiners I don't like. If you don't like a product, OK, then. There's a vibrant market out there. Pick something else and move on. It's really no big deal in the big picture of life.

20. JesalTV Guest

Mate, feel your pain.

My home button was shot. But I used the "Assistive Touch" feature in the meantime, actually works a treat.

Now just got the home button replaced, there is a stall that does phone repairs, and they did it for less than a tenner.

Stick with it man.

21. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

Fanboy? Well... i have 2 macbook pros, 1 iMac, 2 iphones, 1 ipad, 1 appletv, and a pile of other iPods laying around the house. If I'm a fanboy of anything, its of apple products. But this fanboy was disappointed with the iPhone 4. My opinion doesn't mean you can't love your apple products any less.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

-Valid, you should have stuff working
    - Considering all my previous iPhones have last at least 36 months (3G still being used, 2G still works) I'm not sure what you're referring to
    -Ok...my cell phone in 2002 worked perfectly and so does my iPhone 4.
    - Out of warranty replacement with a new cell for $150? That's not a bad deal.
    - I'm not. Why would Apple, a device manufacturer, give you a carrier discount? You can also purchase from Apple and get whatever discount your carrier would give you, so are you just complaining that Apple won't reduce the price for you for no reason?
    -? Really? Ok...

23. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I think people fail to realize that ALL electronics have issues, whether it be made by apple or not. I personally havn't had a major iphone\ipad\mac issue, but it would be dumb of me to think they are perfect. The same goes if you think that because you have one or two problems, that you will be better off going with another brand\manufacturer. For the most part, iphones are dependable and the customer service is usually willing to help you out - in my case even without applecare.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, that really isn't what you wrote in your original post. What you wrote was more like: the iPhone 4 sucks, no matter how many millions actually have been brainwashed to think they like it, and you people that can't see that are idiots, and the OP was right to come here and whine about dropping it.

My point, and I think most of the other posts were not mindless fanboy reactions but more like, "great, really don't care," or if they did disagree made points why they disagreed with OP. But there really isn't much ad hominen attacks going on as you suggest, yet you seek to smear everyone that posted a response.

25. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

WTF? Someone who calls someone else out on talking ***** is a fanboy? Are you smoking the right end of the crack pipe?