Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Born Again

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Norcal
just curious now that the 'new iphone' also has seams can the people who complained about seams come out and say they were wrong :D

Radio

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
With the 4 it was the seams. This year it's the two-toned back.

Complaining about the seams? Which seams? The seams on the size bezel separating the antennas?

----------

I think it was the fact they weren't uniform

Yea, that makes sense. I never really noticed it until AntennaGate... And after that, I had a case until I got the 4S.

ADDITIONAL: Funny thing is, I did not know they fixed the Antenna Issue on the 4S for several months. That is why I used the iFrogz Ultra Lean Case... I thought I needed one, so I bought the skinniest case I could find. It did look really good on the white iPhone though.

I never understood why they only offered that case in Silver or White... and not black.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Complaining about the seams? Which seams? The seams on the size bezel separating the antennas?

Yes. No one knew what they were when we saw the leaks and claimed they weren't Apple-like.

----------

I think it was the fact they weren't uniform

Who knows...it may serve a function internally/externally and we don't know, just like the seams on the 4 for the antenna.

lowbelly

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Why would the iPhone 5 make them wrong? It has ugly seams again, doesn't prove anything.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yes. No one knew what they were when we saw the leaks and claimed they weren't Apple-like.

----------

Who knows...it may serve a function internally/externally and we don't know, just like the seams on the 4 for the antenna.

We know they serve a function

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I dont think I was the very first person to complain about them. But I sure as hell didn't like them when I first saw the leaked photos of them. I admit I appreciates the look though after Steve Jobs how the design was spectacular or something like that lol

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Using "un-Apple-like" in a sentence to explain why you don't think a product is a legit Apple leak makes you wrong from that point on, at least in my book. Apple has chained their style many, MANY times over the last decade for statements like that to be of any merit.

Here's another thought. We literally have never (speaking iPhone here) seen actual parts leaks that turned out to be fake...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
people aren't complaining about the two-toned back, they're complaining because its an elongated 4S.

There have been complaints in every direction. Two-toned, elongated, not different enough, still has hardware home button, etc.

People see the leak, are not immediately in love with it, so they either complain, think of justifications for it not to be real, or a combination of the two.

kdarling

macrumors P6
just curious now that the 'new iphone' also has seams can the people who complained about seams come out and say they were wrong :D

Yeah, it's fun to look back at the April 2010 threads on the leaked iPhone 4, such as this one.

Common comments in such threads were:

• It looks too industrial.
  • It looks like a Zune.
  • Apple would never have asymmetric seams. Or seams at all!
And the most heard comment:

• It doesn't look like an Apple design.
Of course, they were right. It was influenced by what Apple thought Sony would do :)

What I never understood was Jobs trying to compare the iPhone 4 to a Leica. I wonder if he was actually thinking of the coming model, which... with its three back case bands... evokes memories of old camera bodies with smooth top/bottom and rougher middle:

leica.png

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Gizmodo originally wrote:

Why the seams?

The seams are perhaps the most surprising aspect of the new design. They don't seem to respond to any aesthetic criteria and, in terms of function, we can't adventure any explanation. But they don't look bad. In fact, the whole effect seems good, like something you will find in a Braun product from the 70s.

It's doubtful that the seams are arbitrary, however. Either they will disappear from the final product, or they have a function we can't foresee at this time.
Which was not really complaining and in fact pretty accurate.

A lot of the Gizmodo commenters were complaining however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.