iPhone 4 Home Button Fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cambookpro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Hi,
    Recently I was very kindly given a 32GB iPhone 4 for doing some work for someone. It was not needed as the person who gave it to me now has a 4S.

I have a 16GB iPhone 4, and would've liked 32GB, so I was thinking of keeping the 32GB and giving the 16GB to my mum.

However, the home button is really unresponsive. It does work, but you need to forcefully push it down rather than just tap it. I used it for a bit, but it got too annoying compared to the button on my 16GB.

Any suggestions? I haven't tried this yet: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1223292

Would that fix the problem? I tried using Assistive Touch but it got in the way a bit. Thanks!!

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I have on two occasions taken compressed air and blown up in the dock port, and that has loosened whatever is blocking it.

3. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

This worked for me two weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXlY-VcxbCU

4. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I don't know about your situation in Berks, but here in the States, I found a third party repair-shop that took care of my non-responsive home button for $50. All they did was open up my iP4 and replace it with a new button. Works perfectly now. They explained the home button had gotten water underneath it at some point.

My suggestion is to find a reputable shop that can offer such a repair.

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I say take it to Apple and pay the $150 for an out of warranty replacement. You'll get a "new" phone and shouldn't have any issues for a long time. Good luck and nice "payday". (unless the work was something really horrible like killing someone or cleaning out their septic tank.... if that's the case you got screwed!)

6. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Hired assassin :cool:

:p

It was just fixing a leak in a shower. Nothing much!
    I've blown compressed air through the dock connector/around the home button and banged it on the table like the link in the first post, but nothing doing :(

I can get it repaired at a shop for £35, but I've just ordered a new home button and iPhone opening kit for £3 on eBay, so will have a go myself. Doesn't look too hard, just need to be careful with the connectors and keep all the screws safe.

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Make sure you check out some of the vids on Youtube, ifixit has several that seem very helpful. Good luck!

8. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

9. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Update: Did it yesterday, took about 1.5 hours. It works!! The connectors were damn fiddly though. Won't be doing it again in a hurry.

Now on to the next problem, just found out it's locked to O2... :rolleyes: